Health & Well-Being
Culinary and Health Benefits
Enhancement of the aesthetic appeal, culinary benefits, and nutritional content in our food system
- Michael Mazourek’s program is focused in part on development of specialty vegetables such as small, extra sweet squash and peppers with altered taste profiles for enhancement of the aesthetic and culinary appeal of New York produce.
- Michael Gore’s research group engages in genetic dissection of metabolic seed traits to increase content of nutrients such as vitamin A and provitamin A carotenoids
- Courtney Weber develops improved berry varieties with emphasis on disease and insect resistance, fruit quality, and beneficial phytochemicals (Weber news)
Enhancing the Human Environment
Promoting and optimizing the growth of plants in urban and developed settings and in public gardens for human health and enjoyment
- Don Rakow teaches and publishes on the design, history, and management of public gardens
- Ashley Helmholdt works with CCE educators and Master Gardener Volunteers to promote successful gardening experiences for NYS households
- Christopher Dunn, Director of Cornell Botanic Gardens, oversees Cornell’s 3500 acres of botanical gardens, arboretum, and network of natural preserves, and promotes a mission of conservation and community engagement.
- Nina Bassuk improves the quality of urban life by enhancing the functions of plants within the urban ecosystem. Read more at Urban Horticulture Institute.
- Neil Mattson directs the Controlled Environment Agriculture group, researching advances in lighting and greenhouse technologies that can reduce the carbon footprint of local greenhouse-grown produce (Mattson news)
- Mark Bridgen, Director of the Long Island Horticultural Research and Extension Center, focuses on new plant development, breeding, and propagation of herbaceous ornamentals and flowers
- Bill Miller researches floricultural crop production and postharvest physiology, with a focus on growth control, ethylene effects on plants, carbohydrate metabolism in bulbous plants, and physiological disorders.
- Frank Rossi addresses practical problems in turfgrass management with emphasis on environmental compatibility and economic feasibility (Rossi news)