Dairy Discovery Workshop
The annual Dairy Discovery program provides New York youth with fun, hands-on science-oriented learning experiences in dairy production and management topics that feature the unique facilities, industry professionals, and staff at Cornell University.
The statewide program for youth ages 14 to 19 years-old is held one Saturday in March. Youth learn about dairy careers by rotating through a series of hands-on stations that focus on specific aspects of the dairy industry. Dairy Discovery workshop topics changes each year but include: Dairy Herd Health and Management, Calf and Heifer Production Management, Quality Milk and Milk Production, Whole Farm Management Planning, and Maximizing the Feed Management Program.
March 24 - 25, 2023
Theme: Dairy Herd Management
Dairy herd management is critical in determining the production potential of dairy enterprises. Management of the dairy herd includes:
- fresh cow monitoring and treatment
- foot care
- disease control and management
All these facets of dairy cattle managing make for good animal health stewards. Having a good herd health program and managing risk effectively leads directly to a healthier herd, both physically and financially.
Youth will understand, observe and participate in technical skill training related to such topics as:
- Linear type evaluation
- Pedigree, sire selection and genetic mating
- Herd management - functional cow or not
- Managing risk in fresh cows
- Is my cow sick?
- Look, listen and touch cows!
- Understanding the anatomy, hormones and breeding timeline
- Heat detection and reproduction management programs
- Do my cows wear “good sneakers”
- Foot disease identification, management and treatment
- A good pedicure!
- DHI records
- Getting to know DairyComp 305
- What the records say!
Frank Morrison Hall at Cornell University
Map and driving directions
- Welcome and dinner (Room 348 Morrison)
- CALS Admissions presentation and college planning (Room 146 Morrison)
- Group mixer with Animal Science students (Livestock Pavilion)
- Snack and program conclusion
Youth will rotate through three stations in the morning and three stations in the afternoon.
Breakfast on your own
Registration (Morrison Hall lobby)
Welcome and workshop introduction (146 Morrison)
Workshop session 1
Lunch (348 Morrison)
Workshop Session 2
Wrap-up and evaluation
Best Western University Inn
1020 Ellis Hollow Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850
Group Room Rate
$149.00 per night
Reservation deadline: March 1, 2023
Group rates apply to Friday night only until the reservation cutoff date. If your hotel stay extends beyond these nights or is made after the cutoff deadline, prevailing rack rate will apply and is based on availability.
Additional Area Hotels
For more information
Registration and payment questions:
- Linzi Chambers (lc994 [at] cornell.edu or 607-255-6695)
- Debbie Grusenmeyer (djc27 [at] cornell.edu)