Horse Quiz Bowl
Horse Quiz Bowl is an exciting opportunity offered as part of the NYS 4-H Equine Program. In this event, youth are able to showcase their horse knowledge in a competitive, jeopardy- like contest.
This contest involves a series of questions that are asked either of a specific individual or a team. Participants use a buzzer system to ‘buzz’ in first and answer questions. These questions might be in the form of a regular question, toss-up, or bonus depending on the half of play. There are a variety of subject areas covered: general equine terms, the horse industry, feeding and care, and anatomy.
Each year, top-scoring youth are selected to represent their region at the state competition, which is held at Cornell University. Representatives from each participating state are then sent each year to the Eastern National 4-H Horse Round-up. Overall, competition offers youth a great way to showcase their horse knowledge, while also creating an opportunity to meet youth from all over the region that share a passion for equine.
How to get involved:
- Become a 4-H member at your local county office
- Contact your local 4-H county educator
- Join a Horse Bowl team, or study as an individual
- For more information you can also contact jms943 [at] cornell.edu (Jessica Tyson), NYS 4-H Horse Educational Events Coordinator
Contest Date: Saturday, April 15, 2023
- Junior registration begins at 7:45 am, event begins at 8:00 am
- Seniors registration begins at 12:30 pm, event begins at 12:45 pm
Registration: Registration opens on Wednesday, February 1, 2023. Only CCE County Educator and/or staff will be able to registration youth via the NYS 4-H Horse Bowl Registration page on the CCE Event Registration for Programs page.
Deadline to enter is Friday, April 7, 2023!
Location: Dept. of Animal Science, 507 Tower Rd., Frank B. Morrison Hall, Cornell University. Parking is available in either the North Frank B. Morrison Parking Lot or across Tower Road in the Peterson Lot and is free on weekends. A registration table will be set up in the main lobby of Frank B. Morrison Hall.
- Please be familiar with the state rules published in the current Educational Events Rulebook dated February 2023.
- Youth should bring their own lunch, drinks and refreshments. No food or drink will be available.
- Enter Morrison Hall by the East Morrison Hall parking lot entrance, which is easily accessible by the upper Morrison parking lot. Signs will be posted.
- Upon arrival, coaches should proceed to the registration table in the lobby to check team(s) in; youth should proceed directly to the holding room to avoid congestion at the registration table and lobby.
- We ask that youth PLEASE be quiet as the contest will be in progress.
Qualifying & Awards
Participating youth can be those who qualified at the regional contest, or those chosen in any other manner that seems fit for your region.
Awards will be announced at the end of the contest. Individual rosettes will be given to the top 10 individuals from both the Jr. and Sr. division. The top 5 teams for both the Jr. and Sr. Division will receive team rosettes. The first place team from both the Jr. and Sr. division will also receive a plaque. Participation ribbons will not be awarded. The top four individual seniors will be asked to join the NYS 4-H Horse Nationals Team and will travel to Louisville, KY to compete at the Eastern National 4-H Horse Roundup.
2023 NYS 4-H Horse Program Horse Bowl Contest Information
For more information
Ann Jason, NYS 4-H Horse Horse Bowl Chairperson, at jcowgirls4 [at] gmail.com.