Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow, Class of 2021
- Home country: Pakistan
- College and degree: Masters English literature and Bachelors in electric engineering
- Current position: Agricultural extension and food security worker
- Specialization: Farmer field schools, nutrition and climate smart agriculture
What is the most memorable or impactful experience of your career so far?
My most impactful experience so far has been to listen and see peasant farmers in rural areas of Pakistan raising their voices against all major injustices happening to them. Their voice is getting stronger to fight for their social rights, including rights in regard to available natural resources as per international VGGT guidelines.
What impact do you want to make in your country?
I want to tackle many challenges which are affecting the lives of poor small growers in rural areas of Pakistan such as:
- small growers or landless farmers should understand their rights and they should stand united for their common problems,
- fair and proper utilization of available natural resources within the poor or well established farming communities,
- to challenge the small but ruling elites of feudalist mindsets who have control over the major agricultural economy in Pakistan, and
- to promote improved practices of climate smart and nutrition sensitive agriculture in underdeveloped settings within my country.
How do you think your Humphrey Fellowship and your time at Cornell will help boost your career?
The Humphrey Fellowship will provide me a chance to connect myself and my vulnerable farming community to many like minded people and organizations within United States of America. It will also provide me a chance to enhance my own personal capacity in the context of agriculture and rural development so that I can support my local community back home.
What does public service mean to you?
For me, public service is doing my part to achieve common goals within any society and making people self sufficient into the future.
What are you happiest doing when you're not working?
I enjoy making new friends and cook and cooking delicious Asian foods for them. I am also a nature loving person and very much enjoy spending time in natural environments.
What is your personal motto?
To provide and strengthen the platform for vulnerable peasant farmers in Pakistan where they understand their lawful rights and stand united for common goals.
Connect with Moshin:
- Mohssinrajput [at] gmail.com (Send Moshin an email)