Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow, Class of 2021-22
- Home country: Uganda
- College and degree: Bachelors of Statistics, Makerere University; MBA in Finance, Sikkim Manipal University; Certificate in Agricultural Financing, Kenya School of Monetary Studies
- Current career: Programs Director at Incredible Youth International
- Specialization: Agricultural financing and financial inclusion
- Email: an444 [at] cornell.edu
What is the most memorable or impactful experience of your career so far?
The most impactful experience in my career has been being part of the team that developed the first weather-based agricultural insurance product in 2013. Additionally, it was very memorable when the Government of Uganda approved a proposal from the team to subsidize this insurance product's premiums to ensure increase uptake by the farmers and increase agricultural financing.
What are the big challenges you want to tackle in your country?
The big challenges want to tackle in my country are:
- the improvement of post harvest handling which will reduce the losses the farmers make at harvest time;
- market linkages which are made worse by poor infrastructure; and
- financial literacy of the rural population which I believe will ensure the sustainability of their businesses.
How do you think your Humphrey Fellowship and your time at Cornell will help boost your career?
The Humphrey Fellowship and my time at Cornell will boost my career by giving me a platform to engage with people from various countries that are facing similar challenges. Also, the classes, seminars and workshops that I will have an opportunity to take will equip me with knowledge to cater to the major obstacles in both my career and my work.
What does public service mean to you?
Public service means using one's skills, capabilities and knowledge to improve the well-being of those surrounding them.
Tell us a fun fact about you.
I love to travel to new places and bake.
What would be your personal motto?
Knock on as many doors as possible, knowledge is power!