The Dairy Nutrition and Management Shortcourse and the Advanced Dairy Nutrition and Management Shortcourse are conducted in opposite years as a collaboration between Cornell University and Miner Institute with additional invited course faculty from other universities.
The Dairy Nutrition and Management Shortcourse blends classroom-based instruction with practical skill development along with networking opportunities with attendees and with course faculty in informal settings. This course is designed primarily for early career nutritionists and allied industry professionals seeking a more comprehensive foundation in the principles of dairy cattle nutrition and their application within dairy herd management.
Next course: June 5 - 9, 2023
W. H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute
Miner Center Educational Building
586 Ridge Road
Chazy, NY 12921
We are finalizing the course agenda and will share additional details as soon as they are confirmed. The course begins on Monday, June 5 at 1:00 PM and concludes on Thursday, June 8 at 12:15 PM.
- Forage production and silage management
- Carbohydrates, protein and amino acids, and fat and fatty acids
- Calf and heifer nutrition
- Environmental aspects of dairy nutrition
- Nutrition and milk components
- Transition cow nutrition and management
- Practical round robin stations
- And more!!
Business casual or casual dress (jeans/shorts) is appropriate for the course. We will be visiting the Miner Institute Dairy Center on Wednesday afternoon for practical round robins (plastic overshoes will be provided). Appropriate dress is recommended.
Who should attend
Participants who have enjoyed this course in-person at Miner Institute in the past include:
- recently hired nutritionists for feed companies and consulting groups
- sales and technical services representatives in the feed and animal health industries
- extension professionals
- graduate and veterinary students
Instructors from Cornell University and Miner Institute all have extensive experience working in their topic areas and engaging with dairy industry professionals.
- Dr. Larry Chase - Cornell University
- Dr. Heather Dann - Miner Institute
- Dr. Rick Grant - Miner Institute
- Joe Lawrence - Cornell CALS PRO-DAIRY
- Dr. Sarah Morrison - Miner Institute
- Dr. Tom Overton - Cornell University
- Dr. Kristan Reed - Cornell University
- Ricky Scuderi – Miner Institute/Lallemand Animal Nutrition
- Dr. Mike Van Amburgh - Cornell University
2023 Course Information
Miner Institute is approximately 15 miles north of downtown Plattsburgh. Room blocks have been set up at various hotels in Plattsburgh at reduced rates. Reservation deadlines are early as May 14 and reduced rates may be unavailable after the cut-off date.
Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott
579 State Route 3, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
$149.00 per night
Reservation cutoff: May 21
Fairfield booking link coming soon!
Hampton Inn and Suites
586 State Route 3, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
(518) 324-1100 (option 2 - sales office)
$170.00 per night
Reservation cutoff: May 14
Best Western Plus
446 State Route 3, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
$129.99 queen /$134.99 king per night
Reservation cutoff: May 14
Traveling to Miner Institute
The nearest airports are Burlington, VT (1 hour), Albany, NY (2.5 hours) or Montreal, Canada (1.5 hours with border crossing). Ground transportation from airports to Plattsburgh is generally not available, so a rental car is recommended.
For More Information
- (607) 255-4478
- hh96 [at] cornell.edu
We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. If accommodations are needed to participate or fully access content, please contact Heather Darrow at hh96 [at] cornell.educlass="spamspan".