Advanced Equine Program
The NYS 4-H Horse Advanced Equine Program was developed to create a bridge between the 4-H youth with equine interest and the Equine Industries in New York State. Participants will be expected to join monthly zoom meetings to meet with equine professionals on certain topics, work independently on monthly projects, participate in the NYS 4-H Horse In-service, complete an interview with an equine professional, and attend an end-of-the-year trip.
Yearly Learning Objectives
- Participants will work as a group or individually to complete a portfolio of 6 educational assignments that includes a variety of learning goals in areas such as: STEM Education, writing, and leadership development.
- Participants with exhibit independent learning by sourcing, contacting, and arranging a interview with an individual in the equine industry (with the help of the NYS 4-H Equine Youth Specialist and other educators).
- Participants will be prepared with skills needed to succeed in online or virtual learning such a video call edict, and understanding learning styles.
- Participants will attend a year-end, overnight trip that will focus on connecting youth to various aspect to equine industries to better understand the opportunities available for education and occupations.
- Participants must be 14 years old (4-H age: Age as of January 1st).
- Must be enrolled in the NYS 4-H Program.
- Must have a desire to learn about Equine Science and Equine Industries.
- Must complete and submit an application via email by December 23, 2022.
- Must attend winter team building in Ithaca, NY (or participate as a volunteer at another State level competition).
- Must complete all 5 assignments given after each virtual meeting.
- December 23, 2022
Tentative Meeting Dates
- January 11 at 6:30 pm: Intro meeting
- February 11 or 12: Winter Team Building at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- March 15 at 6:30 pm: Virtual Session
- April 17 at 6:30 pm: Virtual Session
- May 17 at 6:30 pm: Virtual Session
- June 14 at 6:30 pm: Virtual Session
- July 12 at 6:30 pm: Virtual Session
- August 10-12: Overnight trip to Saratoga (dates may be adjusted to fit participants schedules.)
- Participants that complete the expectations above are eligible to attend the over night trip to the Saratoga Springs, NY area. More details will be provided as the year goes on.
- The estimated cost of the trip is $300 per participant. This will include housing, meals, and scheduled activities.
- Important: Please do not let the cost of the trip deter you from applying, we will work with any participant in financial need. Various scholarships or grants may be available.
Submit your application
Submit your application via email to Brieanna Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 23, 2022. Only 12 applicants will be selected to participate in this program for the 2023 year.