WRI Curriculum Resources
Place-based study of the Hudson River Estuary Watershed help students meet learning standards while building connections to their location environment. The Hudson River Estuary Program has created interdisciplinary lessons that use the river to build understandings and skills. These lessons and activities are intended for students of all ages ranging from Kindergarten through High School, and include resources from partnered groups in the region.
- Virtual River Curriculum: online lesson plans and activities to explore the Hudson River Estuary Watershed from our distance learning locations.
- Lesson Plans: from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and Hudson River Estuary Program.
- Migration of the American Eel (Presentation/Student Worksheet)
- Where do American Eels Come From? (Hudson River K-12 Unit of Study/Map)
- Mapping the Migration of American Eels (Hudson River K-12 Unit of Study/Student Worksheet/Map)
- Hudson River Eel Project Data Analysis (Hudson River K-12 Unit of Study/Student Spreadsheet)
- Let's Talk about SCIENCE (Hudson River K-12 Unit of Study/Student Worksheet)
- Create an Eel Habitat
- Eel Relay Lesson
- American Eel Board Game
- River Runners: Tracking Striped Bass (Reading/Hudson River K-12 Unit of Study/Map 1/Map 2)
Water & Watersheds
- Watershed Address (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
- Model Your Watershed (Lesson Plan/Presentation- please email hrteach [at] dec.ny.gov for PowerPoint with voiceover)
- Build a Watershed!
- How Much Water is on Earth?
- All the Water on Earth (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
- Who Polluted the Hudson River?
Plant & Animal Interactions
- Biodiversity Poster
- Adaptations (Presentation)
- Adaptations: Designs for Survival (Lesson Plan)
- Adapting to Estuaries (Lesson Plan)
- There's no Place Like Home (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
- What Do Animals Need to Stay Alive? FOOD! (Lesson Plan)
- What Do Animals Need to Stay Alive? HABITAT! (Lesson Plan)
- Invasive Travelers
Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV)
Weather & Climate
- Weather Observation
- Investigating Climate Change (Worksheet/Conservationist for Kids)
- Investigating Sea Level Rise in the Hudson Valley (Lesson Plan/Web Quest)