Non-Cornell Credit

Gaining Non-Cornell or Transfer Credit

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Cornell University reserve the right to determine, in their sole discretion, whether course credit earned at other schools, either secondary or post-secondary, meet the College’s and the University’s academic standards and will, therefore, be eligible to be applied toward Cornell degree requirements.

Applicants and matriculated students should not assume that, because a particular course is taken at another accredited institution listed as a recommended course or a foundational course, will necessarily be eligible for Cornell credit.

Non-Cornell credit is defined as:

  • Advanced placement credit/Credit by Examination.
  • Credit earned at an accredited college or university in the United States or the student’s country of permanent residence. A list of the six recognized accrediting bodies accepted by Cornell is available on the Council for Higher Education Accreditation’s website. For courses taken outside of the United States, academic coursework may be evaluated for Cornell University credit provided that the coursework is taken at the college level and recorded on official transcripts. Additionally, students who wish to transfer credit(s) from outside of the United States may be requested to submit an international credential evaluation, or proof of accreditation for the institution where the coursework was completed.
  • Credit earned through the Ithaca College Exchange Program.
  • Credit earned through Global Learning. *CALS Exchange credits are considered Cornell credits*.

Obtaining pre-approval of non-Cornell credit is strongly recommended prior to enrolling in the course):

  • CALS Students who plan to take courses at another regionally accredited institution should complete the transfer credit pre-approval form located in Chatter. It is possible that the course a student would like to complete has already been approved and is in the database on this site.
  • Credit will not be awarded for courses completed outside the home country in the fall or spring semester while on a leave of absence.

For more information visit the non-Cornell credit section in the Courses of Study.