Discover CALS

See how our current work and research is bringing new thinking and new solutions to some of today's biggest challenges.

Advanced Placement and Non-Cornell (Transfer) Credit

Advanced Placement and Advanced Standing

Advanced placement credit is college credit that students earn before they matriculate as a first-year student and that may count toward the degree and/or degree requirements as specified by the individual college at Cornell. Its primary purpose is to exempt students from introductory courses and to place them in advanced courses. Its value is that it allows students to include more advanced courses in their course of study.

Covid-19 and Advanced Placement

We regret that the global COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted so many learning opportunities, and we want you to know that we will honor your efforts and the success you had earned prior to your school closure or transition to online learning.

For students planning to start studies at Cornell in 2020, 2021, or 2022 who have been enrolled this term in accelerated programs such as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge A-Levels, and who will be unable to take the exams or taking a different form of exam, Cornell will continue its current practices in awarding credit and course placement, using the modified results and reporting that the testing agencies have announced:

AP  |   IB   |   Cambridge

While we hope this is reassuring, please note that the faculty and colleges at Cornell also encourage you to seek any reasonable opportunities to complete the academic work you had intended. Consult with your school teachers and advisers now, as well as your Cornell advisers and instructors after you arrive. Although Cornell credit and placement won’t change, some concepts and problems that would have been introduced later in your accelerated high school courses might be important for your success in the associated advanced courses at Cornell.  

For more information, visit the Advanced Placement & Advanced Standing section in the courses of study.

Gaining Non-Cornell or Transfer Credit

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Cornell University reserve the right to determine, in their sole discretion, whether course credit earned at other schools, either secondary or post-secondary, meet the College’s and the University’s academic standards and will, therefore, be eligible to be applied toward Cornell degree requirements.

Applicants and matriculated students should not assume that, because a particular course is taken at another accredited institution listed as a recommended course or a foundational course, will necessarily be eligible for Cornell credit.

Official transcripts may be submitted electronically to:
cals-studentservices [at], or mailed to:
CALS Student Services, 140 Roberts Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853.

Non-Cornell (transfer) credit is defined as:

  • Link to the advanced placement credit/Pre-College Credit table specific to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
  • Credit earned at an accredited college or university in the United States or the student’s country of permanent residence. A list of the six recognized accrediting bodies accepted by Cornell is available on the Council for Higher Education Accreditation’s website. For courses taken outside of the United States, academic coursework may be evaluated for Cornell University credit provided that the coursework is taken at the college level and recorded on official transcripts. Additionally, students who wish to transfer credit(s) from outside of the United States may be requested to submit an international credential evaluation, or proof of accreditation for the institution where the coursework was completed.
  • Credit earned through the Ithaca College Exchange Program.
  • Credit earned through the Office of Global Learning. *CALS Exchange credits are considered Cornell credits*.

Obtaining pre-approval of non-Cornell (transfer) credit is strongly recommended prior to enrolling in the course):

  • CALS Students who plan to take courses at another regionally accredited institution should complete the transfer credit pre-approval form located in DUST. It is possible that the course a student would like to complete has already been approved and is in the database on this site.
  • Credit will not be awarded for courses completed outside the home country in the fall or spring semester while on a leave of absence.

For more information visit the non-Cornell (transfer) credit section in the Courses of Study.