What We Oversee
The CALS Office of Marketing and Communications oversees the content and design of the college's core digital properties. We partner with others throughout CALS who maintain webpages for their CALS department or unit.
For help and support, please contact us at calsweb [at] cornell.edu.
All editors with credentials to edit web pages within the CALS web ecosystem are required to follow our web governance standards.
Cornell has invested in Siteimprove, a simple, powerful tool that evaluates how accessible your website is, and shows you how to make it better.
Every five days Siteimprove scans the CALS' Drupal websites for web accessibility issues, misspellings and broken links. Reports of the scans are available via email and within the Siteimprove tool itself.
Interested in receiving Siteimprove reports or want more information? Please visit the IT@Cornell website at it.cornell.edu/siteimprove.
For more information about web accessibility at Cornell.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
If you are responsible for adding content to our college website or another public website representing a college entity, please review these helpful tips on how to help your content be seen more easily by search engines.
Writing for the Web
Help visitors to your site find information quickly by following these tips on writing for the web:
- Be concise. Start with your original text, then edit it down to half its size.
- Make it scannable. Most people scan through pages looking for headlines and keywords to guide their way. Use headers, bulleted lists, and short paragraphs to help visitors find what they're looking for.
- Use plain language. No need to say "utilize" when you can say "use."
- Provide links. Most people come to a site page directly from Google, not from your home page or a section landing page. If a visitor needs additional information, link to it in the text. Don't assume they will find it in your site's menus.
- Proofread! Please.
- Apply Associated Press Style Guide rules.
Please contact us at calsweb [at] cornell.edu.
We openly share valuable knowledge. Often through email.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.