The New York State Department of Health, in partnership with Cornell University, is among five state departments of health selected to serve as an Integrated Food Safety Center of Excellence as part of a joint venture to strengthen foodborne illness surveillance and investigations.
Main Activities of the Center of Excellence
- Strengthen and standardize surveillance and outbreak investigations
- Analyze and improve timeliness, completeness and effectiveness of responses
- Train public health staff in competency-based training of surveillance and investigation techniques
- Educate next generation of epidemiology, environmental health, and laboratory future food safety leaders
- Improve capacity of information systems
- Evaluate and communicate best practices