Associate Professor, School of Integrative Plant Science Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology Section
My training is in Plant Pathology, having worked and trained at U.C. Berkeley, U.C.Davis, Chevron Chemical Company, Cornell University, University of Adelaide (Waite Institute), and Purdue University. I worked for six years on bacterial plant pathogens, and for the past 18 years on plant viruses. A common thread in my work has been in the diagnosis of plant diseases and the detection of plant pathogens. Teaching responsibilities have included graduate courses in plant pathology and plant virology, an undergraduate laboratory course in molecular biological techniques, and a general interest microbiology course for undergraduates. For the past seven years, I have had administrative oversight of the foundation potato seed program for New York State.
Plant virus - insect vector interactions
Virus diseases of potato and grape
There are three foci in my work: i) oversight of the NY State Foundation Seed Potato Program and Cornell Uihlein Laboratory and Farm, ii) research on plant viruses and their aphid vector transmission, and iii) the diagnostic detection of plant viruses and other pathogens. My objectives in the potato program are: to ensure the successful operation and financial viability of the Uihlein Farm, to address the needs of the NY seed potato growers and industry, and to facilitate the development of golden nematode resistant potato varieties at Cornell for NY State. My primary area of research is the vector transmission of plant viruses. Aphids are the most common plant virus vector and my goal is to understand, at the molecular level, how an aphid is able to acquire virus from an infected plant and deliver it to a new site of infection. The specificity of interactions between a virus and its vector is determined to a large extent by the properties of the virus capsid protein. I have collaborated to obtain an atomic structure for cucumber mosaic virus and this structure is being used to understand how the surface architecture and physical properties of the virus affect and determine its vector transmission. A third major emphasis in my research is the development of multipathogen detection systems for diseases of solanaceous crops (potato, tomato, pepper, eggplant). In this cooperative project, nucleic-acid based methods are being utilized in a macroarray format for the detection of virus, fungi and oomycete pathogens. The same technology is being applied for the detection of grapevine viruses to facilitate the propagation of healthy nursery stocks in NY State
Outreach and Extension Focus
Foundation seed potato production for New York State seed potato growers- My work in the potato program has a large service component and overlaps with my research program. Foundation potato seed is produced at the Uihlein Farm of Cornell University to address the needs of the NY seed potato growers and industry, and to facilitate the development of golden nematode resistant potato varieties at Cornell for NY State.
- Perry, Keith L., 2021. An anomalous detection of Tomato yellow leaf curl virus in tomato in New York State. Plant Disease. (in press)
- Flasco, M., Hoyle, V.J., Cieniewicz, E.J., Roy, B.G., McLane, H., Perry, K.L., Loeb, G., Nault, B.A., Heck, M., Fuchs, M., 2021. Grapevine red blotch virus is transmitted by the three-cornered alfalfa hopper in a circulative, nonpropagative mode with unique attributes. Phytopathology. (accepted)
- Hu, R., Dias, N., Soltani, N., Vargas-Asencio, J., Hensley, D.D., Perry, Keith L., Domier, L., Hajimorad, M.R., 2021. Overlapping but distinct viromes observed in a population of cultivated and wild grapevines. Plant Disease (accepted, published online 9 Feb 2021).
- Ma, X., Stodghill, P., Gao, M., Perry, K.L., Swingle, B., 2021. Identification of Pectobacterium versatile causing blackleg of potato in New York State Title. Plant Disease (accepted, published online 6 Jan 2021)
- Thompson, J.R., Gomez, A.L., Younas, A., González-Tobón, J., Cha, A., Perry, K.L., 2021. Grapevine asteroid mosaic-associated virus is resident and prevalent in wild, non-cultivated grapevine of New York State. Plant Disease (accepted, published online 11 March 2021)
- De Jong, W.S., Halseth, D.E., Plaisted, R.L., Wang, X., Perry, K.L., Qu, X., Paddock, K.M., Falise, M., Christ, B.J., Porter, G.A., 2020. Waneta, a Variety with Excellent Chip Color out of Cold Storage, Long Tuber Dormancy, and Resistance to the Golden Cyst Nematode. American Journal of Potato Research.
- Liu, Y., Ma, X., T.C., H., McLane, H., Stodghill, P., Swingle, B., Filiatrault, M.J., Perry, K.L., 2020. Complete genome sequence of a Gram-positive bacterium, Leifsonia sp. Strain PS1209, a potato endophyte. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 9, e00447-20.
- Soltani, N., Hu, R., Hensley, D.D., Lockwood, D.L., Perry, K.L., Hajimorad, M.R., 2020. A survey for nine major viruses of grapevines in Tennessee vineyards. Plant Health Progress. 21:157–161.
- Vargas-Asencio, J. A., and Perry, K. L. (2020). Global characterization of small RNA-mediated regulatory networks in Arabidopis thaliana. Frontiers in Plant Science. 10:1710. doi:10.3389/fpls.2019.01710.
- Vargas-Asencio, J., Liou, H., Perry, K. L., and Thompson, J. R. 2019. Evidence for the splicing of grablovirus transcripts reveals a putative novel open reading frame. Journal of General Virology. 100:709–720.
- Romero, J. L. R., Carver, G. D., Johnson, P. A., Perry, K. L., and Thompson, J. R. (2019). A rapid, sensitive and inexpensive method for detection of grapevine red blotch virus without tissue extraction using loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Archives of Virology. 164:1453–1457. doi:10.1007/s00705-019-04207-y.
- Ma, X., Perna, N. T., Glasner, J. D., Hao, J., Johnson, S., Nasaruddin, A. S., Charkowski, A. O., Wu, S., Fei, Z., Perry, K. L., Stodghill, P., Swingle, B. 2019. Complete genome sequence of Dickeya dianthicola ME23, a pathogen causing blackleg and soft rot diseases of potato. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 8:e01526-18. doi:10.1128/MRA.01526-18.
- Cieniewicz, E., Thompson, J. R., McLane, H., Perry, K. L., Dangl, G. S., Martinson, T., Wise, A., Wallis, A,. O'Connell, J., Dunst, R., Cox, K., Fuchs, M. F. (2018). Prevalence and Genetic Diversity of Grabloviruses in Free-Living Vitis spp. Plant Disease. 102:1-9. doi:10.1094/PDIS-03-18-0496-RE.
- Setiono, F. J., Chatterjee, D., Fuchs, M., Perry, K. L., & Thompson, J. R. (2018). The distribution and detection of grapevine red blotch virus in its host depends on time of sampling and tissue type. Plant Disease. 102:2187-2193. doi:10.1094/PDIS-03-18-0450-RE.
- Webster, C. G., Pichon, E., van Munster, M., Monsion, B., Deshoux, M., Gargani, D., Calevro, F., Jimenez, J., Moreno, A., Krenz, B., Thompson, J.R., Perry, K.L., Fereres, A., Blanc, S., Uzest, M. (2018). Identification of plant virus receptor candidates in the stylets of their aphid vectors. Journal of Virology, 92, e00432-18. doi:10.1128/JVI.00432-18.
- Ma, X., Schloop, A., Swingle, B., & Perry, K. L. (2018). Pectobacterium and Dickeya responsible for potato blackleg disease in New York State in 2016. Plant Disease 102:1834–1840.
- Yepes, L., Cieniewicz, E. J., Krenz, B., McLane, H. M., Thompson, J. R., Perry, K. L., & Fuchs, M. (2018). Causative role of grapevine red blotch virus in red blotch disease. Phytopathology 108:902-909.
- Watters, K. E., Choudhary, K., Aviranb, S., Lucks, J. B., Perry, K. L., & Thompson, J. R. (2018). Probing of RNA structures in a positive sense RNA virus reveals selection pressures for structural elements. Nucleic Acid Research. 46:2573-2584
- Cieniewicz, E. J., Pethybridge, S. J., Loeb, G., Perry, K., & Fuchs, M. (2018). Insights into the Ecology of Grapevine Red Blotch Virus in a Diseased Vineyard. Phytopathology, 108, 92–102.
- Perry, K. L., McLane, H., Thompson, J. R., & Fuchs, M. (2018). A novel grablovirus from non-cultivated grapevine (Vitis sp.) in North America. Archives of Virology, 163(1), 259–262.
- Kolech, S. A., Jong, W. De, Perry, K., Halseth, D. & Mengistu, F. (2017). Participatory variety selection: A tool to understand farmers’ potato variety selection criteria. Open Agriculture 2: 453–463.
- Li, R., Fuchs, M., Perry, K. L., Mekuriad, T., Zhang, S. 2017. Development of a fast AmplifyRP Acceler8 diagnostic assay for grapevine red blotch-associated virus. Journal of Plant Pathology 99:657–662.
- Vargas-Asencio, J., Perry, K.L., Wise, A., Fuchs, M., 2017. Detection of Australian grapevine viroid in Vitis vinifera in New York. Plant Disease. 101:848.
- Cieniewicz, E. J., Pethybridge, S. J., Gorny, A., Madden, L. V., McLane, H., Perry, K. L., and Fuchs, M. 2017. Spatiotemporal spread of grapevine red blotch-associated virus in a California vineyard. Virus Research 241:156-162. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.03.020).
- Vargas Asencio J., Wojciechowska K., Baskerville M., Gomez A.L., Perry K.L., Thompson J.R. 2017. The complete nucleotide sequence and genomic characterization of Grapevine asteroid mosaic associated virus. Virus Research 227:82-87.
- De Jong, W. S., Halseth, D. E., Plaisted, R. L., Wang, X., Perry, K. L., Qu, X., Paddock, K. M., Falise, M., Christ, B. J., and Porter, G. A. 2017. Lamoka, a Variety with Excellent Chip Color Out of Cold Storage and Resistance to the Golden Cyst Nematode. American Journal of Potato Research. 94:148-152.
- Kolech, S. A., Halseth, D., Perry, K., Wolfe, D., Douches, D. S., Coombs, J., and De Jong, W. 2016. Genetic Diversity and Relationship of Ethiopian Potato Varieties to Germplasm from North America, Europe and the International Potato Center. American Journal of Potato Research. 93:609–619.
- Perry, K. L., McLane, H., Hyder, M. Z., Dangl, G. S., Thompson, J. R., and Fuchs, M. F. 2016. Grapevine red blotch-associated virus is present in free-living Vitis sp. proximal to cultivated grapevines. Phytopathology 106:663–670.
- Vargas-Asencio, J. A., Al Rwahnih, M., Rowhani, A., Thompson, J. R., Fuchs, M. & Perry, K. L. (2016). Limited genetic variability among American isolates of Grapevine virus E from Vitis spp. Plant Disease. 100:159-163.
- Kolech, S. A., Halseth, D., De Jong, W., Perry, K., Wolfe, D., Tiruneh, F. M. & Schulz, S. (2015). Potato variety diversity, determinants and implications for potato breeding strategy in Ethiopia. American Journal of Potato Research. 92:551-566
- Kolech SA, Halseth D, Perry K, De Jong W, Tiruneh FM, Wolfe D. (2015). Identification of Farmer Priorities in Potato Production Through Participatory Variety Selection. American Journal of Potato Research 92(6):648–661.
- Thompson, J. R., Langenhan, J. L., Fuchs, M. & Perry, K. L. (2015). Genotyping of Cucumber mosaic virus isolates in western New York State during epidemic years. Virus Research. 210:169-177.
- Krenz, B., Bronikowski, A., Lu, X., Ziebel, H., Thompson, J. R. & Perry, K. L. (2015). Visual monitoring of Cucumber mosaic virus infection in Nicotiana benthamiana following transmission by the aphid vector Myzus persicae. Journal of General Virology. 96-2904-2912.
- Guo, T. W., Vimalesvaran, D., Thompson, J. R., Perry, K. L. and Krenz, B. (2015). Subcellular localization of grapevine red blotch-associated virus ORFs V2 and V3. Virus Genes 51, 156–158.
- Sudarshana, M. R., Perry, K. L. and Fuchs, M. F. (2015). Grapevine red blotch-associated virus, an emerging threat to the grapevine industry. Phytopathology 105, 1026–1032.
- Krenz, B., Thompson, J. R., McLane, H., Fuchs, M., and Perry, K. L. 2014. Grapevine red blotch-associated virus is widespread in the United States. Phytopathology 102:1232-1240.
- Thompson, J. R., Kamath, N., and Perry, K. L. 2014. An evolutionary analysis of the Secoviridae family of viruses. PLoS One 9:e106305.
- Thompson, J., Fuchs, M., McLane, H., Toprak-Celebi, F., Fisher, K., Potter, J., and Perry, K. L., 2014. Profiling viral infections in grapevine using a randomly primed reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction/macroarray multiplex platform. Phytopathology 104:211-219.
- Lin, Y.-H., Abad, J. a, Maroon-Lango, C. J., Perry, K. L., and Pappu, H. R. 2014. Molecular characterization of domestic and exotic potato virus S isolates and a global analysis of genomic sequences. Archives of Virology 159:2115–22.
- Vargas, J. A., Bush, E., and Perry, K. L., 2013. Spinach latent virus infecting tomato in Virginia, USA. Plant Disease 97:1663 http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-05-13-0529-PDN
- Bricault, C., and Perry, K. L., 2013. Alteration of intersubunit acid-base pair interactions at the quasi-threefold axis of symmetry of Cucumber mosaic virus disrupts aphid vector transmission. Virology 440:160-170.
- Celebi-Toprak, F., Thompson, J., Perry, K. L., and Fuchs, M., 2013. Arabis mosaic virus in grapevines in New York State. Plant Disease 97:849.
- Krenz, B., Thompson, J., Fuchs, M., and Perry, K. L. 2012. Complete Genome Sequence of a New Circular DNA Virus from Grapevine. Journal of Virology 86:7715
- Thompson, J., M. Fuchs, K. Fisher, and Perry, K. L. 2012. Macroarray detection of grapevine leafroll associated viruses. Journal of Virological Methods 183:161-169.
- Lu, X., J. Thompson, and Perry, K. L. 2012. Encapsidation of DNA, a protein and a fluorophore into virus-like particles by the capsid protein of cucumber mosaic virus. Journal of General Virology 93:1120-1126.
- Thompson, J. R., Fuchs, M. & Perry, K. L. (2011). Genomic analysis of Grapevine leafroll associated virus-5 and related viruses. Virus Research 163:19-27.
- Mello, A. F., Olarte, R., Gray, S. M., and Perry, K. L. 2011. Transmission efficiency of Potato virus Y strains PVYO and PVYN-Wi by five aphid species. Plant Disease 95:1279-1283.
- Sundaraj, S., Srinivasan, R., Webster, C., Adkins, S., Perry, K., and Riley, D. 2011. First report of Tomato chlorosis virus infecting tomato in Georgia. Plant Disease 95:881.
- Jaubert, M., Bhattacharjee, S., Mello, A. F. S., Perry, K. L., and Moffett, P. 2011. AGO2 mediates RNA silencing anti-viral defences against Potato virus X in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 156:1556-1564.
- Perry, K. L., and McLane, H. 2011. Potato virus M in Bittersweet Nightshade (Solanum dulcamara L.) in New York State. Plant Disease 95:619.
- Webster, C. G., Reitz, S. R., Perry, K. L., and Adkins, S. 2011. A natural M RNA reassortant arising from two species of plant- and insect-infecting bunyaviruses and comparison of its sequence and biological properties to parental species. Virology 413:216-225.
- Webster, C. G., K. L. Perry, X. Liu, L. Horsman, G. Frantz, C. Mellinger, and S. Adkins. 2010. First report of Groundnut ringspot virus infecting tomato in south Florida. Plant Health Progress, doi:10.1094/PHP-2010-0707-01-BR.
- Mello, A. F. S., Clark, A. J. and Perry, K. L. 2010. The capsid protein of Cowpea chlorotic mottle virus is a determinant for vector transmission by a beetle. Journal of General Virology 91:545-551.
- Agindotan, B., and Perry, K. L. 2008. Macroarray detection of eleven potato-infecting viruses and Potato spindle tuber viroid. Plant Disease 92:730-740.
- Susaimuthu, J., Agindotan, B., Miller, L., and Perry, K. L. 2007. Potato aucuba mosaic virus in potato in New York State. Plant Disease 91:1202.
- Agindotan, B., and Perry, K. L. 2007. Macroarray detection of plant RNA viruses using randomly primed and amplified complementary DNAs from infected plants. Phytopathology 97:119-127.
- Thompson, J. R., Doun, S., and Perry, K. L. 2006 Compensatory capsid protein mutations in Cucumber mosaic virus confer systemic infectivity in squash (Cucurbita pepo). Journal of Virology 80:7740-7743.
- Baldauf, P. M., Gray, S. M., and Perry, K. L. 2006. Biological and serological properties of Potato Virus Y isolates in Northeastern US potatoes. Plant Disease 90:559-566.
- De Jong, W., Halseth, D. E., Brodie, B. B., Perry, K. L., Sieczka, J. B., Christ, B. J., Porter, G. A., Paddock, K. M., Peck, M. W., and Plaisted, R. L. 2006. Marcy, a chipping variety with resistance to common scab and the golden nematode. American Journal of Potato Research 83:189-193.
- Ng, J. C. K., Josefsson, C., Clark, A. J., Franz, A. W. E., and Perry, K. L. (2005). Virion stability and aphid vector transmissibility of Cucumber mosaic virus mutants. Virology 332:397-405.
- Perry, K. L., Miller, L., and Williams, L. (2005). Impatiens necrotic spot virus in greenhouse-grown potatoes in New York State. Plant Disease 89:340.
- Ng, J. C. K., and Perry, K. L. (2004). Transmission of plant viruses by aphid vectors. Molecular Plant Pathology 5:505-511.
- Thompson, J.R., Perry, K.L., and De Jong, W. 2004. A new potato virus in a new lineage of picorna-like viruses. Arichives of Virology 149:2141-2154.
- Bowman, V.D., Chase, E.S., Franz, A.W.E., Chipman, P.R., Zhang, X., Perry, K. L., Baker, T. S., and Smith, T. J. 2002. An antibody to the putative aphid recognition site on Cucumber mosaic virus recognizes pentons but not hexons. Journal of Virology 76:12250-12258.
- Clark, A. J., and Perry, K. L. 2002. Transmissibility of field isolates of soybean viruses by Aphis glycines. Plant Disease 86:1219-1222.
- Liu, S. J., He, X., Park, G., Josefsson, C., and Perry, K. L. 2002. A conserved capsid protein surface domain of Cucumber mosaic virus is essential for efficient aphid vector transmission. Journal of Virology 76: 9756–9762.
- Pirone, T. P., and Perry, K. L. (2002). Aphids-nonpersistent transmission. Advances in Botanical Research 36:1–19.
- Smith, T. J., Chase, E., Schmidt, T., and Perry, K. L. 2000. The structure of cucumber mosaic virus and comparison to cowpea chlorotic mottle virus. Journal of Virology. 74, 7578-7586.
- Escriu, F., Perry, K.L., and Garcia-Arenal, F. 2000. Aphid transmissibility of cucumber mosaic virus by Aphis gossypii correlates with viral accumulation and is affected by the presence of satellite RNA Phytopathology 90:1068-1072.
- Ng, J., Liu, S., and Perry, K.L., 2000. Cucumber mosaic virus mutants with altered physical properties and defective in aphid vector transmission. Virology 276:395-403.
- Perry, K. L., Kolb, F. L., Sammons, B., Lawson, C., Cisar, G., and Ohm, H. 2000. Yield effects of barley yellow dwarf virus in soft red winter wheat. Phytopathology 90:1043-1048.
- Hsu, H.T., Barzuna, L., Hsu, Y.H., Bliss, W., Perry, K.L. 2000. Identification and subgrouping of cucumber mosaic cucumoviruses with mouse monoclonal antibodies. Phytopathology 90:615-620.
- Ohm, H.W., Cook, V.M., Shaner, G.E., Buechley, G.C., Sharma, H., Perry, K.L., Ratcliffe, R.H. and Cambron, S.E. 2000. Registration of ‘Jay’ Spring Oat. Crop Science 40:569.
- Ohm, H.W., Shaner, G.E., Ratcliffe, R.H., Huber, D.M., Sharma, H. , Perry, K.L., Buechley, G.C. and Cambron, S.E. 2000. Registration of ‘Goldfield’ Wheat. Crop Science 40:581-582.
- Ng, J. and Perry, K.L., 1999. Stability of the aphid transmission phenotype in cucumber mosaic virus. Plant Pathology 48:388-394.
- Sharma, H., Francki, M., Crasta, O., Gyulai, G., Bucholtz, D., Ohm, H., Anderson, J., Perry, K., and Patterson, F. 1999. Cytological and molecular characterization of wheat lines with Thinopyrum intermedium chromosome additions substitutions and translocations resistant to barley yellow dwarf virus. Cytologia 64:93-100.
- He, X., Liu, S., and Perry, K.L., 1998. Identification of epitopes in cucumber mosaic virus using a phage-displayed random peptide library. Journal of General Virology 79:3145-3153.
- Perry, K. L., Zhang, L., and Palukaitis, P. 1998. Amino acid changes in the coat protein of cucumber mosaic virus differentially affect transmission by the aphids Myzus persicae and Aphis gossypii. Virology 242:204-210.
- Perry, K.L., Zhang, L., Shintaku, M., and Palukaitis, P., 1994. Mapping determinants in cucumber mosaic virus for transmission by Aphis gossypii. Virology 205:591-595.
- Perry, K.L. and Francki, R.I.B., 1992. Insect-mediated transmission of mixed and reassorted cucumovirus genomic RNAs. Journal of General Virology 73:2105-2114.
- Perry, K.L. and Palukaitis, P., 1990. Transcription of tomato ribosomal DNA and the organization of the intergenic spacer. Molecular and General Genetics 221:102-112.
- Perry, K.L., Simonitch, T.A., Harrison-Lavoie, K.J., and S.-T. Liu. 1986. Cloning and regulation of Erwinia herbicola pigment genes. Journal of Bacteriology 168: 607-612.
- Gallie, D.R., Zaitlin, D., Perry, K.L., and C.I. Kado. 1984. Characterization of the replication and stability regions of Agrobacterium tumefaciens plasmid pTAR. Journal of Bacteriology 157:739-745.
- Kao, J.C., Perry, K.L., and C.I. Kado. 1982. Indoleacetic acid complementation and its relation to host range specifying genes on the Ti plasmid of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Molecular and General Genetics 188:425-432.
- Liu, S.-T., Perry, K.L., Schardl, C.L., and C.I. Kado. 1982. Agrobacterium Ti plasmid indoleacetic acid gene is required for crown gall oncogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 79:2812-2816.
- Perry, K.L. and C.I. Kado. 1982. Characteristics of Ti plasmids from broad-host-range and ecologically specific biotype 2 and 3 strains of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Journal of Bacteriology 151:343-350.
- Fereres, A., and Perry, K. L. (2018). “Movement between plants: Horizontal transmission,” in Cucumber Mosaic Virus, eds. P. Palukaitis and F. Garcia-Arenal (Minneapolis, Minnesota: American Phytopathological Society), p. 173–184.
- Perry, K. L. (2018). “Virus structure and encapsidation,” in Cucumber Mosaic Virus, eds. P. Palukaitis and F. Garcia-Arenal (Minneapolis, Minnesota: American Phytopathological Society), 199–206.
- Cieniewicz, E., Perry, K., and Fuchs, M. (2017). “Grapevine red blotch: Molecular biology of the virus and management of the disease,” in Grapevine Viruses: Molecular Biology, Diagnostics and Management eds. Meng, B., Martelli, G.P., Golino, D.A., Fuchs, M. (Cham: Springer International Publishing), 303–314. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-57706-7_14.
- Perry, K. L. (2001). “Cucumoviruses” in Virus-Insect-Plant Interactions, eds. K. Harris, J. E. Duffus, and O. P. Smith (San Diego: Academic Press), 167–180.
PLPA 4020 The Biology of Plant Pathogens
PLPA 6020 The Biology of Plant Pathogens
- ENTOM 3200: Grape Pest Management
- PLPPM 3200: Grape Pest Management
- VIEN 3200: Grape Pest Management
- PLSCI 4990: Independent Undergraduate Research in Plant Science
303C Plant Science Bldg.
Ithaca, NY 14853
klp3 [at] cornell.edu
School & Section
- Master of Science
University of California, Davis
- Bachelor of Arts
University of California, Berkeley