Seven CALS faculty and professional staff members have been selected for the 2019-20 State University of New York (SUNY) Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence. Visit the Cornell Chronicle, for the complete list of all sixteen faculty and professional staff members across three state contract colleges who were selected.
The honor recognizes faculty and staff at SUNY colleges who demonstrate a commitment to intellectual vibrancy, advancing the boundaries of knowledge, providing the highest quality of instruction and serving the public good. Awards are granted to faculty and staff in the categories of professional service, faculty service, teaching, librarianship, and scholarship and creative activities.
Honorees in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) are:
- Camille Andrews, emerging technologies and user engagement librarian at Mann Library, for her dedication to ensuring students and staff have positive learning experiences at the library;
- C. Drew Harvell, professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, for her scholarship and public engagement as a champion for ocean life and sustainable oceans;
- Bruce Lewenstein, professor in the Department of Communication and professor and chair in the Department of Science and Technology Studies, for service to the university in leadership roles and as a teacher, adviser and mentor; and for service to the field of science communication;
- Carmen Moraru, professor and chair of the Department of Food Science, for her constantly evolving approach to teaching, and her support and mentorship of graduate and undergraduate students;
- Matthew Ryan, associate professor in the Soil and Crop Sciences section of the School of Integrative Plant Science, for teaching emphasizing experiential learning and providing students with a rounded education in sustainable agriculture;
- Christie Sayre, formerly a graduate student services specialist in the Department of Natural Resources, received a Classified Service Award for providing personalized support and useful guidance in that role. She is now the research administration coordinator for the Department of Clinical Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine; and
- Matthieu Stratton, business manager in the Department of Food Science, who was recognized with a Professional Service Award for his dedication to achieving the mission and goals of the department’s operations in Ithaca and Geneva.
“I applaud the outstanding contributions of this year’s recipients, both here on campus and for the broader community, through service and leadership,” said Kathryn J. Boor ’80, the Ronald P. Lynch Dean of CALS. “Their research, teaching and extension activities epitomize the land-grant mission of Cornell and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences – which is to be fundamentally invested in improving the lives of people, their environments and their communities in New York and around the world.”
We openly share valuable knowledge. Often through email.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.