On Nov. 4, members of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) came together to celebrate the 17th year of the Research & Extension Awards and the 11th year of the Core Value Staff Awards. The ceremony, which did not take place in 2020 due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, recognized the notable and wide-ranging accomplishments of CALS individuals and teams who significantly contributed to and supported the college’s Land-Grant mission.
“Tonight’s honorees contribute to the life-changing work of CALS,” said Benjamin Houlton, the Ronald P. Lynch Dean and emcee for the evening. “I appreciate the chance to celebrate those who not only do a great job but also go above and beyond in their efforts enough to be recognized by their colleagues.”
Houlton presented the awards to 41 recipients in 15 categories. View photos of the award recipients from the event.
2021 CALS Research and Extension Award Recipients
Outstanding accomplishments in science and public policy
- Jaron Porciello, senior extension associate, Department of Global Development
- Neil Lewis Jr., professor, Department of Communication
Outstanding accomplishments in research
- Jocelyn Rose, professor, School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Biology Section
Outstanding accomplishments in extension and outreach (team)
- COVID-19 Food Safety Response Team: Samuel Alcaine, Davis Blasini, Kimberly Bukowski, Elizabeth Demmings, Louise Felker, Christopher Gerling, Anika Gianforte, Nicholas Luongo, Anna Katharine Mansfield, Ricardo Orellana, Olga Padilla-Zakour, Robert Ralyea, Thomas Saunders, Alexander Solla, Aljosa Trmcic, Martin Wiedmann, Randy Worobo, Bruno Xavier
Outstanding accomplishments in extension and outreach (individual)
- Juliet Carroll, senior extension associate, School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Pathology and Plant Microbe Biology Section
- Samuel Alcaine, assistant professor, Department of Food Science
- Marcos Simoes-Costa, assistant professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Syed Rizvi, professor, Department of Food Science
- Philip McMichael, professor emeritus, Department of Global Development
- Stephen Zinder, professor, Department of Microbiology
Outstanding service to the CALS community
- Amy McCune, professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and former senior associate dean
- Max Pfeffer, professor emeritus, Department of Global Development, and former executive dean
2021 Core Value Staff Award Recipients
- Matt Hayes, director for communications, Department of Global Development
- Josephine Martell, director of research development, Office of Research Development
- Stephanie Westmiller, student services representative, Department of Entomology
- Karin Jantz, assistant to the chair and graduate field assistant, School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Biology Section
- Joanna Alario, graduate field representative, Department of Communication
- Chase Mayers, teaching support specialist, School of Integrative Plant Science
- Interfolio Team: Kelley Sullivan, Christina Konstantinidou, Jamie Wells, Tami Payne, Kelli Carr, Michele Blackmore
- Bonnie Ferguson, assistant to the associate dean/director, Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station
We openly share valuable knowledge. Often through email.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.