Visiting Fellow, School of Integrative Plant Science
Jaron is the primary investigator and co-director for Ceres2030: Sustainable Solutions to End Hunger, a three-year and multi-institutional initiative that brings together evidence and cost-models to support coordinated G-7 donor decision making as they explore their role in the international effort to end hunger (Sustainable Development Goal 2). She is also the P.I. for Agriculture in the Digital Age, an evidence-based review looking at proliferation of digital technology and data analytics in agriculture contributing to the lives of farmers and agricultural service providers. She also serves as a faculty fellow at the David R. Atkinson Center for Sustainable Development.
Jaron is an information and data scientist and holds a M.A. and M.L.S. from Indiana University. Her programs bring together technology, group work and research methods to connect policy and science across a global food system. She has experience leading and managing ambitious global projects in agriculture and rural development. Her projects involve managing multiple stakeholders including universities, publishers, funding and international agencies, and NGOs to achieve shared goals to advance access to and acceleration of data and knowledge for the public good.
Previously, she has been the program manager for Research4Life, a public-private partnership of United Nations agencies, publishers and universities; managed the member sustainability initiative for arXiv.org, and the director of TEEAL, one of the world’s longest running programs to facilitate journal access to scientists in the developing world.
- PhD coursework, Computing and Information Sciences, Cornell University (2013-2015)
- Master of Arts in English, Indiana University (2008)
- Master of Information and Library Sciences, Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis (2007)
- Bachelor of Arts, Indiana University (2003)
Meta science, evidence-based policy, and building partnerships
- Coffman, R., Tufan, H.A., Acevedo, M., Porciello, J., and McCandleless. L. “Five Recommendations for an Inclusive and Collaborative One CGIAR.” Food Policy. March 2020. https://doi-org.proxy.library.cornell.edu/10.1016/j.foodpol.2020.101831
- Porciello, Jaron; Devare, Medha; Corson‐Rikert, Jon. "VIVO: Simplifying Research in the Life Sciences." Against the Grain 20; 4. November 2008.
- Digital Farmer Services Evidence Review. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation & USAID. $333,000. 2020.
- Ceres2030. Funded by The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Contract: OSP 90123 (Funded: $2.3 million; Cornell Award: $549,577 USD). August 2019-April 2021. Role: P.I. and co-director.
- Lancet4Ag - Expert Consensus on the Highest Impact Donor Interventions in Agricultural Development. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Contract: OPP1174937 (Funded; $604,000). October 2018-October 2020. Role: P.I.
- Ending Hunger Sustainably. BMZ Germany. (Funded: $581,000 USD). January 2018-December 2018. Role: P.I.
- “Ceres2030: Sustainable Solutions to End Hunger” The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Seattle, USA. January 31, 2020
- “Ceres2030: Sustainable Solutions to End Hunger” at Inclusive Agriculture and Rural Transformation: Building a Shared Research Agenda. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italy. June 15-17, 2019
- “Agricultural evidence to achieve the SDGs” Key innovators in agricultural evidence synthesis Harper Adams University. United Kingdom. September 16-17, 2019
- “What do we need to achieve the SDGs? It’s all in the evidence!” Joint Initiative of World Bank, FAO, and IFAD. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italy. January 12-16, 2018
- “What can we do to achieve SDG2?” Global Donors Platform annual meeting. Washington D.C., USA. April 27-29, 2018
- “What can we do to achieve SDG2?” USAID Learning Lunch. Washington D.C.,USA. September 12, 2018.
- “Ceres2030: A roadmap.” T-20 panel on food security. Buenos Aires, Argentina. September 16-18, 2018.
- “Ceres2030: A roadmap.” Committee on Food Security: 45th session. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italy. October 14, 2018
jat264 [at] cornell.edu
Jaron in the news
- Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station
- Institute for Food Safety
- Department of Communication
- Department of Global Development
- Digital Agriculture