Associate Professor, School of Integrative Plant Science Horticulture Section
I administer a broad-based research and education program focused on ecological aspects of turfgrass science. The goal of my research and education efforts for undergraduates, graduate students and industry professionals is to improve the environmental compatibility and economic feasibility of turfgrass management systems.
Lawn, golf and sports turf
Urban grasslands management
The goal of my research is to apply the rigorous scientific method to practical problems in turfgrass management. The specific areas of reduced fertilizer and pesticide use in single tactic as well as integrated systems-based projects lead to significant practical advancements.
Selected Journal Publications
- Soldat, D., Rossi, F. S., & Petrovic, A. M. (2018). Nitrate and ammonium leaching in cool-season turfgrass as affected by temperature and potential evapotranspiration. Crop Science. 57:S-354-S-356..
- Rossi, F. S., & Krueser, W. C. (2014). The Horticultural Spray Oil, Civitas, Causes Chronic Phytotoxicity onCool-season Golf Turf. HortScience. 49:1217-1224.
- Bertin, C., Senesac, A. F., Rossi, F. S., DiTommaso, A., & Weston, L. A. (2009). Evaluation of selected fine-leaf fescue cultivars for for their turfgrass quality and weed suppressive ability in field settings. HortTechnology. 19:660-668.
- Rossi, F. S., & Grant, J. A. (2009). Long Term Evaluation of Reduced Chemical Pesticide Management of Golf Course Putting Turf. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 11:77-90.
- DeGaetano, A. T., & Rossi, F. S. (2007). Long-term trends in meteorological conditions favorable for dollar spot in eastern portions of the United States. Applied Turfgrass Science.
- Woods, M., Ketterings, Q. M., Rossi, F. S., & Petrovic, A. M. (2006). Potassium availability indices and turfgrass performance in a calcareous sand putting green. Crop Science. 46:381-389.
- Woods, M., Rossi, F. S., & Ketterings, Q. M. (2006). Potassium supply rate as measured by exchange membranes in a calcareous sand. Applied Turfgrass Science.
- Woods, M., Ketterings, Q. M., & Rossi, F. S. (2005). Effectiveness of standard soil tests for assessing potassium availability in sand rootzones. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 170:110-119.
- Woods, M., Ketterings, Q. M., & Rossi, F. S. (2005). Measuring the effects of potassium application on calcium and magnesium availability in a calcareous sand. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 10:1015-1020.
- Grant, J. A., & Rossi, F. S. (2004). Evaluation of reduced chemical management systems for putting green turf. USGA Turfgrass and Environmental Research Online. 3:1-13.
Awards & Honors
- President's Award for Environmental Stewardship (2018) Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
- John Reid Lifetime Achievement Award (2017) Metropolitan Golf Courses Supt. Association
- Man of the Year (2017) NYS Turf and Landscape Association
- Environmental Communicator of the Year (2013) Turfgrass and Ornamental Communicators Association
I love learning. I capitalize on this passion by strategically engaging students to explore the biological, chemical and physical science of plants, soils, climate, agriculture, food, fiber, etc. in supportive and creative learning environments. I emphasize written and verbal communication in evidence-based individual and group work to develop skills valuable in professional environments. In addition to traditional content matter courses such as Introduction to Horticulture Science and Systems and Grassing the Urban Eden, I instruct an Undergraduate Teaching Apprentice Course that addresses pedagogical issues associated with an engaged learning environment from a course design, development, delivery, as well as assessment and evaluation perspective.
- PLSCI/DSOC 1300: Just Food: Exploring the Modern Food System
106 Academic Surge Facility A
Ithaca, NY 14853
fsr3 [at] cornell.edu
- Master of Science
University of Rhode Island
- Bachelor of Science
University of Rhode Island
Frank in the news
The course, Just Food: Exploring the Modern Food System, benefits from an interdisciplinary pair of instructors: Rachel Bezner Kerr, professor in the Department of Global Development, and Frank Rossi, associate professor of horticulture in the...
- Department of Global Development
- School of Integrative Plant Science
- Food Science
Frank Rossi, associate professor in the School of Integrative Plant Science, was recognized for his exceptional environmental contribution to the game of golf.