Vat Pasteurizer Workshop
Designed for small-scale dairy processors.
The course is a self-paced online course.
This course may be used to fulfill the pasteurization component requirements for the Cornell Dairy Foods Extension Certificate program in all certification tracks but can also be taken as an individual course by people interested in vat pasteurization methods, rules, and regulations.
After attending the Vat Pasteurization workshop, participants will be able to:
- Label the key components of a vat pasteurizer and discuss their importance.
- List key foodborne pathogens and dairy spoilage organisms and identify the most likely entry points in the dairy processing environment.
- Identify dairy processing practices that prevent or reduce the likelihood of biological, chemical, and physical hazards.
- Name to equipment sealed by regulatory agencies and to explain the necessity to do so.
- Describe the physical requirements for all types of thermometers that relate to vat pasteurization and define the legal temperature requirements.
- Differentiate styles of chart recorders and the associated charts, list the required information to be included on the chart, and be able to name regulatory control tests and their frequency.
To earn a certificate for successful completion of this course,participants will need to pass a test that is administered at the end of the course; this test is an open book test, but is timed such that there is only limited time to search for information.
This course also includes a pre-course test to determine the knowledge of all attendees before the start of the course. Test questions will include multiple choice, short answer, and true/false questions.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Dairy Food Safety and Basic Microbiology
- UHT & HTST Equipment Design
- UHT & HTST Instrumentation
- Recording Charts
- Sequence Logic
- UHT & HTST Testing
- Phosphatase Testing and Sampling
- Operating with a Broken Seal
- Maintenance of HTST Systems
- Cleaning and Sanitizing UHT & HTST Systems
- Anderson-Negele Safety Thermal Limit Recording (STLR) Device
- HTST Hold Time and Flow Rates
- ABB Safety Thermal Limit Recording (STLR) Device
- Flow Diversion Device Valve Testing
- Pressure Differential and DART Thermometers
- Broken Seal Breakout Review
- $200-$240 for in-state registrants
- $240-$290 for out-of-state registrants
Senior Extension Associate
rdr10 [at] cornell.edu
Additional instructors and contributors to this course include representatives of NY State Agriculture & Markets and guest instructors from industry.
- Self-paced online course, rolling admission
lmf226 [at] cornell.edu ()