Student Resource Navigator Program
Cornell Cooperative Extension Tompkins County is launching a new health equity project in partnership with Cayuga Health Partners that will build the capacity of health care providers to address patients' social needs. The Student Resource Navigator Program will deploy students as navigators in health care settings to initiate and track referrals to community resources that improve health and well-being.
The project goals are 1) to meet community members’ immediate needs by connecting them to appropriate resources, and 2) to gain a clearer understanding of facilitators and barriers to accessing public health resources in Tompkins County to determine what policy and program changes may be needed to improve accessibility.
The intern will focus on a) supporting the pilot of the program, b) adapting the Navigator role and position description based on learnings from the pilot, and c) designing recruitment and hiring strategy to maximize accessibility of this opportunity for a diverse population of Cornell students.
Roles and responsibilities
The intern will be responsible for:
- Supporting our pilot program with our first cohort of navigators and assisting with the analysis of program data and evaluation of the pilot
- Researching barriers and facilitators to internship participation for diverse undergraduate students
- Adapting the Navigator position description and developing outreach materials and recruitment and hiring protocols to maximize equity in our hiring process
Qualifications and previous coursework
This opportunity is available to non-graduating students enrolled in Cornell University's CAS, ILR, AAP, COE and JCB.
- Passion for health equity and addressing disparities through social determinants of health
- Experience working or volunteering in community settings
- Collaborative attitude in working with navigators and community partners
- Students who have completed ILRLR 4035 (Intersectional Disability Studies) are encouraged to apply
- Intercultural competence
- Critical reflection
- Integrative learning
- Ethical practice