The CALS Research Honors Program
The Research Honors Program provides students with a special opportunity to work with a faculty mentor to experience the research process. The Bachelor of Science degree with “distinction in research” is conferred upon those students who, in addition to having completed the requirements for the B.S. degree, have satisfactorily completed the honors program in their area of major interest and have been recommended for the degree by the honors committee.
Research may be performed in the following program areas: animal sciences, biological sciences, biology & society, entomology, environmental and sustainability sciences, information science, landscape studies, nutritional sciences, physical sciences, plant sciences, and social sciences. Students in any CALS major may be eligible to participate in any of these program areas. Each program area has its own requirements in addition to the college’s requirements. After reviewing the requirements of each program area, additional questions may be directed toward the appropriate program area chair.
Consult the Undergraduate Research Opportunities pages for information about identifying a research topic, conferring with a faculty member, and undergraduate funding opportunities.
Students will be able to:
- Identify a question or topic requiring original research through critical examination of existing literature.
- Formulate the question into one or more testable hypotheses or central arguments and develop methods suitable to evaluate these hypotheses or arguments
- Obtain information relevant to the hypotheses or arguments through effective use of contemporary methods and research techniques
- Critically analyze the evidence obtained to refute or support the hypotheses or arguments
- Integrate the findings of this research to the findings of others and to larger issues in the discipline
- Communicate effectively through writing the thesis and oral or poster presentations
Application for Research Honors Program
*New for 2016-2017*
Students must fill out and submit the Research Honors application form online. See details under Research Honors Program Requirements. The application system will notify the appropriate faculty to obtain required signatures. When all signatures are received, the form will be forwarded to the CALS Office of Academic Programs for processing.
NOTE: The deadline for application submission is Tuesday, October 4, 2016 by 3:00 PM.