It is expected that students will make progress on graduation requirements each semester and will complete requirements for graduation within eight semesters. Students are able to apply non-Cornell credit (such as Advanced Placement or transfer credit) to graduate in less than 8 academic semesters. Students wishing to make any changes to their degree date are able to request an updated degree date in their junior year through Chatter:
- In Chatter click on the DUST Tab
- In DUST click on the Graduation Requirements Tile
- In the Graduation requirements Tile click on the Application to Update Degree Standing
- Submit the Application to Update Degree Standing for review
Students may delay graduation to complete requirements for the college, including requirements for one major. Delayed graduation will be approved only for compelling academic reasons that prevented completion of requirements within the expected period. Compelling academic reasons is defined as a circumstance beyond a student’s control that prevented taking the necessary courses or credits in a timely fashion.
In some cases students need an additional course beyond their expected graduation date and are unable to complete this course at Cornell University. In this situation a student can request to complete their course work at another institution (up to 8 academic credits). To do this a student must complete the following through Chatter:
- Attain pre-approval of the course the student would like to take by completing a transfer pre-approval form through Chatter.
- Request an update to their degree information
- Complete Part I and Part II of the Application to Graduate.
Once the course is complete the student must send an official transcript to the CALS Student Services Office verifying a grade of “C” or better. Once the transcript is received, the students degree will be posted for the next eligible degree date (example: transfer received June 5; the student will be an August Graduate).
Students wishing to make any changes to their degree date, including finishing elsewhere are able to ask questions and request their record to be changed through Chatter.