The date for the annual Small Grains Management Field day sponsored by the Integrated Field Crop, Soil and Pest Management Program Work Team, has been set for June 8! It will again be held in conjunction with Poormon Farms in Seneca Falls, NY. Please park in the designated lot at Fleur De Lis. Registration check-in and light refreshments will begin at 9:30 am with the program running from 10 am - noon. New this year is the opportunity to network with other attendees at Fleur De Lis farm brewery at the conclusion of the event!
- Registration and refreshments, 9:30 – 10 AM
- View winter wheat and winter barley variety plots at adjacent Poormon Farms
- Welcome and introductions (5 min.)
- 2023 Crop development and management observations, Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crops Educators, Mike Stanyard leading (20 min)
Discussion of small grain acreages, crop development, management practices being applied, learning from participation in the Yield Enhancement Network.
- Recommended small grain varieties and availability of seed, current breeding initiatives, Mark Sorrells, David Benscher, R.J. Richtmyer (20 min)
- The pathway to improved scald resistance in winter malting barley, Judith Kolkman (10 min)
- Refreshment Break (10 min.)
- Update on integrated disease management in small grains – including best fungicide options, grain quality and mycotoxin surveys in malting barley, Gary Bergstrom, Kevin Myers (15 min)
- A fresh look at weed management for small grains in New York, Vipan Kumar (15 min.)
Assessment of weed management challenges in small grains, and future research and extension priorities.
- New York Grown and Certified: opportunities for small grains value chains, Laura Smalley (10 min.)
An introduction to the process and benefits of certification in New York grain supply chains.
- Updates and comments from attendees, (15 min.) [incl. market conditions, new products and services]
NYS DEC and CCA CEUs will be available.
Date & Time
June 8, 2023
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
More information about this event.
Jenn Thomas-Murphy, Cornell Field Crops
- jnt3 [at] cornell.edu
Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology Section
Soil and Crop Sciences Section
We openly share valuable knowledge.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.