Assistant Professor, Landscape Architecture
Zaneta Hong is an Assistant Professor in Landscape Architecture. Trained as a landscape architect and industrial designer, her teaching and research focus centers on material ecologies, landscape technologies, and sustainable practices. Prior to her arrival at Cornell, she worked at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, University of Virginia, and University of Texas in Austin. Her work has been recognized by the Graham Foundation and Environmental Design Research Association, and she was recently awarded the 2018-19 Garden Club of America Rome Prize Fellowship, MacDowell Fellowship, and Certificate of Teaching Excellence by the Harvard Derek Bok Center. Her ongoing research has appeared in publications including Innovations in Landscape Architecture, Living Systems: Innovative Materials & Technologies for Landscape Architecture, International Journal of Interior Architecture & Spatial Design, and the Journal of Landscape Architecture. In addition to teaching, Zaneta is the Co-Director of Alterior Office and a Research + Design Consultant for GA Collaborative.
- “Edible Ecologies” in Studio Ecologies: Designing Landscape Architectural Education for Unpredictable Futures. Edited by Rosalea Monacella and Bridget Keane. Routledge; Taylor & Francis, 2021.
- “Modeling Ideas: Landscapes as Representational Systems” in Representing Landscapes: Analogue. Edited by Nadia Amoroso. Routledge; Taylor & Francis, 2019.
- Platform 8: An Index of Design and Research, Harvard University, Graduate School of Design & Actar Publishers, 2016.
Awards & Honors
- American Academy in Rome, Garden Club of America Rome Prize Fellowship in Landscape Architecture, Material Traceability, 2018-19.
- MacDowell Fellowship, 2018.
- Graham Foundation Grants, The Landformation Catalogue, 2014.
- LA 3180/6180 Site Assembly
- LA 3010/6010 The Alternatives Test Kitchen
- LA 4010 Take a Stand & Hold Your Ground
zhong [at] cornell.edu
Master of Landscape Architecture
Graduate School of Design
B.F.A. in Industrial Design
Rhode Island School of Design
Zaneta in the news
Academic focus: Art + design, ecology + technology, materials + innovation Research summary: Landscape architects and designers actively participate in the expansive reorganization of Earth’s matter, energy and form. While the circumstances of...
- Landscape Architecture