Professor, Food Science
Sy Rizvi is professor of food process engineering in the Department of Food Science and also holds the title of International Professor in the college. He is interested in engineering and processing aspects of food science and value addition for global markets. He has published over 170 technical papers, co-authored/edited six books and holds six patents. He is also associated with the Department of State advising the Bureau of Economics, Energy and Agricultural Affairs on use of science in diplomacy.
Physical, chemical and engineering aspects of food and related biomaterials. International developments in value-chain.
Engineering and processing aspects of food and related biomaterials and international developments to both undergraduate and graduate students
Areas Of Expertise
- Food Engineering
- Food Processing
- Food Processing, Food Engineering, International Food Science
- International Development
- Food Science and Technology
- International Agriculture and Rural Development
- International Agriculture and Rural Development
- International Development
- Arora, B., Singha, P. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2021). Supercritical fluid extrusion: Die design and physicochemical properties of milk protein extrudates. Innov. Food Sci. & Emerging Technol. 68: 102637. doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2021.102637.
- Schulz, P. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2021). Hydrolysis of Lactose in Milk: Current Status and Future Products. Food Reviews International. doi.org/10.1080/87559129.2021.1983590
- Iqbal, A. Schulz, P. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2021). Valorization of bioactive compounds in fruit pomace from agro-fruit industries: Present Insights and future challenges. Food Bioscience. doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2021.101384.
- Arora, B. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2021). Physicochemical Properties of Milk Protein Concentrate Extrudates Generated Using Supercritical Carbon Dioxide. ACS Food Sci & Technol. doi.org/10.1021/acsfoodscitech.1c00239.
- Jash, A., Ubeyitogullari, A. and Rizvi, S. S.H. (2021). Liposomes for oral delivery of protein and peptide-based therapeutics: Challenges, formulation strategies, and advances. J. Mater. Chem. B, 9:4773-4792. doi.org/10.1039/D1TB00126D.
- Arora, B. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2021). Process optimization and product characterization of milk protein concentrate extrudate expanded by supercritical carbon dioxide. Int’l J. Dairy Technology. doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12801.
- Zhou, R., Mitra, P., Melnychenko, A. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2021). Quality attributes and rheological properties of novel high milk protein‐based extrudates made by supercritical fluid extrusion. Int’l J. Food Sci. & Technol. doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.15003.
- Ubeyitogullari, A. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Heat stability of emulsions using functionalized milk protein concentrate generated by supercritical fluid extrusion. Food Funct. 11: 10506-10518. doi.org//10.1039/d0fo02271c
- Arora, B., Yoon, A., Sriram, M., Singha, P. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2020). Reactive extrusion: A review of the physicochemical changes in food systems. Innovative Food Sci. & Emerging Technologies. doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2020.102429.
- Kapoor, R., Jash, A. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Shelf-life extension of Paneer by a sequential supercritical-CO2-based process. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2020.110060.
- Tina, Y.P., Gopirajah, R., Krishnamurthy, S. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Modeling of product temperature in a supercritical fluid extrusion process through dimensional analysis. J. Food Proc. Eng. doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.13561.
- Gopirajah, R., Singha, P., Javad, S. Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Emulsifying properties of milk protein concentrate functionalized by supercritical CO2 extrusion. J. Food Proces & Preserv. doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14754.
- Ubeyitogullari, A. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Production of high-purity phospholipid concentrate from buttermilk powder using ethanol-modified supercritical carbon dioxide. J. Dairy Sci.163: 8796-8807. doi.org/10.3168/jds.2020-18697.
- Jash, A., Ubeyitogullari, A. and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Synthesis of multivitamin-loaded heat stable liposomes from milk fat globule membrane phospholipids by using a supercritical-CO2 based system. Green Chemistry 22:5345 – 5356. doi.org/10.1039/D0GC01674H.
- Yoon, A. Singha, P. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2020). Steam vs. SC-CO2-based extrusion: comparison of physical properties of milk protein concentrate extrudates. J Food Eng. doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2020.110244.
- Yoon, A. and Rizvi, S. S. H. (2020). Functional, textural and sensory properties of milk protein concentrate-based supercritical fluid extrudates made with acid whey. Int’l J. Food Prop. 23(1):708-721.
- Sharifi, F., Jash, A., Abbaspopurrad, A. & Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Generation of Ironized and Multivitamin-loaded Liposomes Using Venturi-based Rapid Expansion of Supercritical Solution (Vent-RESS). Green Chemistry. doi.org/10.1039/C9GC04018H.
- Jash, A., Hatami, T. & Rizvi, S.S.H. (2020). Phosphatidylcholine solubility in supercritical carbon dioxide: Experimental data, thermodynamic modeling, and application in bioactive-encapsulated liposome synthesis. J. Supercritical Fluids. doi.org/10.1016/j.supflu.2019.104720.
- Javad, S., Gopirajah, R. & Rizvi, S.S.H. (2019). Enhanced stability of emulsion made with supercritical carbon dioxide extruded whey protein concentrate. J. Food Proc. Eng. 42(6). doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.13183.
- Sharifi, F., Zhou, R., Lim, C., Jash, A., Abbaspourrad, A. & Rizvi, S.S.H. (2019). Generation of liposomes using a supercritical carbon dioxide eductor vacuum system: Optimization of process variables. J. CO₂ Utiliz. 29: 163–171. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcou.2018.12.011.
- Zhang, J., Liu, L., Liu, H., Yoon, A., Rizvi S. S. H. & Wang, Q. (2018). Changes in Conformation and Quality of Vegetable Protein during Texturization Process by Extrusion, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2018.1487383.
- Tsai, W. C. and Rizvi, S. S.H. (2017). Simultaneous microencapsulation of hydrophilic and lipophilic bioactives in liposomes produced by an ecofriendly supercritical fluid process Food Res. Int’l. 99: 256-262. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.05.029.
- Mushtaq, M., Sultana, B. Akram, S., Anwar, F., Adnan, A. & Rizvi S. S. H. (2017). Enzyme-assisted supercritical fluid extraction: an alternative and green technology for non-extractable polyphenols. Anal Bioanal Chem. doi.org/10.1007/s00216-017-0309-7.
- Tsai, W. C. and Rizvi, S. S.H. (2017). Microencapsulation and characterization of liposomal vesicles using a supercritical fluid process coupled with vacuum-driven cargo loading. Food Res. Int’l. 96: 94–102. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.03.027.
- Liu, H., Hebb, R.L. Putri, N. & Rizvi, S. S. H. (2017). Physical properties of supercritical fluid extrusion products composed of milk protein concentrate with carbohydrates. Int’l J. Food Sci. & Technol. 53: 847–856. doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13624.
- Adi, M.S., Walkling-Ribeiro, M and Rizvi, S.S.H. (2017). Synergistic Processing of Skim Milk with High Pressure Nitrous Oxide, Heat, Nisin, and Lysozyme to Inactivate Vegetative and Spore-forming Bacteria. Food Bioproc Technol 10: 2132. doi.org/10.1007/s11947-017-1982-4.
- Hazarika, S., Hebb, R. L & Rizvi, S. S. H. (2017). Prediction of Ripening Stage of Cameo Apple Using Fourier-Transform Infrared Spectroscopy. Int’l J. Fruit Sci. 18:2, 188-198. doi.org/10.1080/15538362.2017.1377671.
- Mushtaq, M., Sultana, B., Adnan, A., Anwar, F., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Enzyme-assisted supercritical fluid extraction of phenolic antioxidants from pomegranate peel. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 104:122-131.
- Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Novel method of niosome generation using supercritical carbon dioxide part I: process mechanics. Journal of Liposome Research. 25:334-346.
- Ruttarattanamongkol, K., Afizah, M. N., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Stability and rheological properties of corn oil and butter oil emulsions stabilized with texturized whey proteins made by supercritical fluid extrusion. Journal of Food Engineering. 166:139–147.
- Iftikhar, T., Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2014). Enhanced inactivation of pectin methyl esterase in orange juice using modiÞed supercritical carbon dioxide treatment. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 49:804-810.
- Nor Aﬁzah, M., Rizvi, S. S., & , (2014). Functional properties of whey protein concentrate texturized at acidic pH: Effect of extrusion temperature. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 57:290-298.
- Sikin, A. M., Zoellner, C., & Rizvi, S. S. (2013). Current Intervention Strategies for the Microbial Safety of Sprouts. Journal of Food Protection. 76:2099-2123.
- Paraman, I., Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2012). Micronutrient and protein-fortified whole grain puffed rice made by supercritical fluid extrusion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 60:11188_11194.
- Manoi, K., & Rizvi, S. S. (2010). Physicochemical characteristics of phosphorylated cross-linked starch produced by reactive supercritical fluid extrusion. Carbohydrate Polymers. 81:687-694.
- Rizvi, S. S. (2010). Separation, extraction and concentration processes in the food, beverage and nutraceutical industries. p. 665 Syed S.H. Rizvi (ed.), Woodhead Publishing, Oxford, U.K..
Presentations and Activities
- Engineering for Global Food Security and Sustainability. 29th Inter-American Congress of Chemical Engineering incorporating the 68th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. October 2018. University of Toronto, Ryerson University and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering. Toronto, ON Canada.
- New strategies for innovations in food development. Food and Agri Executive Management Program. July 2017. International Programs, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University. Ithaca, NY United States.
- A New Generation of Grain-based Food Products by Supercritical Fluid Extrusion. 1st ICC Asia-Pacific Grains Conference. May 2017. International Association for Cereal Science and Technology. Xiamen, China.
- Research & Innovation: Strategies that matter for advanced food processing operations. Centenary Celebration. June 2015. Banaras Hindu University. Varanasi, India.
- Manufacturing Ice Cream on Demand Using Dense Gas Expansion. Ice Cream Technology Conference. March 2015. International Dairy Foods Association. St. Petersburg, Fl.
- Food Security Through Process-product Innovations. March 2015. Cornell Institute for International Agriculture and Development. Ithaca, NY.
- Strategies for Food Development & Innovation. January 2015. National Institute of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management. Kundli, India.
- Food Processing: A powerful tool for economic empowerment and nutritional adequacy. Food Processing and Development of Backward Regions. December 2012. Allahabad University. Allahabad, India.
- High pressure extrusion processing with supercritical fluid. AACC International Annual Meeting. October 2012. American Association of Cereal Chemists International. Hollywood, FL.
University of Toronto - 1988
Ohio State University - 1976
- Master of Science
Panjab University - 1970
- Bachelor of Science
Panjab University - 1968
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Professor (2017) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science
- Excellence in Teaching Award (2014) Food Science Advisory Council
- Stanley Watson Award (2012) American Association of Cereal Chemists International
- FDSC 4020: Agriculture in Developing Nations I
- IARD 4020: Agriculture in Developing Nations I
- FDSC 9900: Doctoral-Level Thesis Research
- FDSC 4210: Food Engineering Principles
- FDSC 4210: Food Engineering Principles
- FDSC 6980: Graduate Teaching Experience
366 Stocking Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
ssr3 [at] cornell.edu
Syed in the news
Benjamin Houlton, the Ronald P. Lynch Dean, recognized 41 faculty and staff members for their remarkable accomplishments at the 2021 CALS Research, Extension and Core Value Staff Awards ceremony.
- Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station
- Institute for Food Safety
- Department of Communication
But the high cost of cold storage had become “a pinching point.” To ship $2,000 worth of potatoes to Dubai in a refrigerated container in the summer, he’d pay $3,000 – losing $1,000 in profits before the product even got to the buyer. But to...
- Food Science