Scientific Coalition On Pest Exclusion
Advancing the science of pest exclusion through research and education to provide professionals and homeowners with the tools needed to keep pests out of the indoor environment.
Who We Are
The Scientific Coalition On Pest Exclusion (SCOPE) is a consortium of industry, agency, and academic professionals formed to study and provide guidance on pest exclusion measures as a cornerstone of urban integrated pest management practices. Core Members of SCOPE were involved in founding the movement and determining its direction. Working Groups were funded by Regional IPM Centers, provided insight, feedback and field testing of ideas and concepts in specific settings: Residential or Industrial and Commercial Pest Exclusion.
Pest exclusion that prevents vermin from entering the indoor environment is an ancient concept. It represents a proactive measure that serves as the first line of defense against pests. Only when exclusion fails should population reduction tactics and traditional pest management be necessary.
Despite the intuitive benefit and simplicity of exclusion, adoption of this technique by pest professionals, builders, facilities maintenance personnel, and the public has remained low. Therefore, to advance the concept of exclusion, forward-thinking pest professionals and urban entomologists founded the Scientific Coalition On Pest Exclusion (SCOPE) to shift the pest management paradigm from reactive responses to pests to one that is proactive.
Pest Exclusion Resources
- SCOPE: A New Scientific Coalition on Pest Exclusion
- Urban Ecology and Pest Management
- Exclusion Essentials
- Exclusion: The Future of Pest Management
- Exclusion Module: National Wildlife Control Operators
- Pest Prevention: Steps Designers Can Take
- Winterizing Your Home to Keep Pests Out webinar
- Patching rat hole with mesh video
- Pest Prevention by Design
- Pest Proofing Small Holes
- Recommendations for Selecting and Using Caulks and Sealants in Pest Management Operations
- Escutcheonology 101
- Of Rodents and Doors
- Rodent-Proof Constructions and Exclusion Methods
- BASF Master Builders Solutions: Watertight Concrete Structures
- Sealants vs. caulking video
Community IPM Extension Educator
NYS Integrated Pest Management
- (845) 320-2715
- mjf267 [at] cornell.edu