Senior Research Associate, School of Integrative Plant Science Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
I conduct research on plant breeding for forage, bioenergy and hemp crops, including evaluation trials for yield and other agronomic characteristics.
Forage and biofuel crop breeding
I conduct research on forage crops, bioenergy feedstock crops and hemp. Research involves variety development and genetic improvement, variety and germplasm evaluation, and research collaborations with other institutions.
As a part of the Forage Breeding Project research team, I work on seven major research objectives:
- Yield and quality evaluation of experimental forage populations developed in the Cornell Forage breeding program
- Yield and quality evaluation of forage varieties from seed companies marketing in the Northeast
- Research on breeding for improved forage quality in alfalfa
- Cooperative research with NE-1710 Regional Research Project
- Research and breeding for resistance to potato leafhopper (PLH), alfalfa snout beetle, and brown root rot in alfalfa
- Bioenergy feedstock research on switchgrass
- Hemp variety trials and breeding.
Outreach and Extension Focus
Outreach activities are reports and websites of forage yield trials results including the Cornell Guide for Integrated Field Crop Management, and presentations at symposiums and meetings organized by extension educators, seedsmen, and by other Cornell faculty. The constituents served are producers, extension educators, and seedsmen. The impact of the outreach activities is to provide data on and encourage use of new forage varieties and new genetic traits available in forage varieties on NY farms. In addition, hemp trials were shown at field days and factsheets were developed.
Selected Journal Publications
- Fike, J. H., Pease, J. W., Owens, V. N., Farris, R. L., Hansen, J. L., Heaton, E. A., Hong, C. O., Mayton, H. S., Mitchell, R. B., & Viands, D. R. (2017). Switchgrass nitrogen response and estimated production costs on diverse sites. Global Change Biology, Bioenergy. 9:1526-1542.
- Viands, D. R., Hansen, J. L., & Crawford, J. L. (2012). Registration of 'Ezra' alfalfa. Journal of Plant Registrations. 6:225-228.
- Li, X., Wei, Y., Moore, K., Michaud, R., Viands, D. R., Hansen, J. L., Acharya, A., & Brummer, E. C. (2011). Association Mapping of Biomass Yield and Stem Composition in a Tetraploid Alfalfa Breeding Population<br>. The Plant Genome. 4:1-12.
- Miller-Garvin, J. E., Hansen, J. L., Ehlke, N. J., Papadopoulos, Y. A., Smith, R. R., Bergstrom, G. C., Wunsch, M. J., Kalb, D. W., Tillapaugh, B. P., Crawford, J. L., & Viands, D. R. (2011). Improving Birdsfoot Trefoil for Resistance to Fusarium Wilt. Crop Science. 51:585-591.
- Fonseca, C. L., Viands, D. R., Hansen, J. L., & Pell, A. N. (1999). Associations among forage quality traits, vigor, and disease resistance in alfalfa. Crop Science. 39:1271-1276.
- Fonseca, C. L., Hansen, J. L., Thomas, E. M., Pell, A. N., & Viands, D. R. (1999). Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy prediction and heritability of neutral detergent-soluble fiber in alfalfa. Crop Science. 39:1265-1270.
- Hansen, J. L., & Viands, D. R. (1989). Response from phenotypic recurrent selection for root regeneration after taproot severing in alfalfa. Crop Science. 29:1177-1181.
101 Love Lab
Ithaca, NY 14853
jlh17 [at] cornell.edu