Department Chair, Associate Professor, Landscape Architecture
Josh Cerra's teaching and research investigate relationships between urban ecosystems, communities and site development processes, and their implications for climate-adaptive design and urban ecological design. He is principal investigator for the Climate-adaptive Design program with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, and co-principal investigator for the Cornell Climate Change Garden Installation with the Cornell Botanic Gardens and the YardWorks Project with the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. His studio-based efforts have received award recognition from the national American Society of Landscape Architects, the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture, and Cornell.
- Cerra, Joshua F. and Libby Zemaitis. (2022, in press) Changing landscapes, changing mindsets; Building capacity toward action in the Climate-adaptive Design Studio. The Routledge Handbook of Urban Landscape Research, Kate Bishop and Linda Corkery, Eds. Routledge.
- Georgakakos, C.B., Cerra, J.F., Allred S.B., Williams, K., Walter, M.T., LCerra, Joshua F. and Libby Zemaitis. 2022 Changing landscapes, changing mindsets; Building capacity toward action in the Climate-adaptive Design Studio. The Routledge Handbook of Urban Landscape Research, Kate Bishop and Linda Corkery, Eds. Routledge.oGiudice, E., Smith, G. (2021). Cross-disciplinary learning in environmental engineering and landscape architecture. International Journal of Collaborative Engineering.
- Cerra, J., Smith, G., & Zemaitis, L. 2019. People and place: Understanding social dimensions of resilience in the Climate-adaptive Design Studio. 2019 Environmental Design Research Association Conference Proceedings, Environmental Design Research Association.
- Cerra, Joshua F., Brook W. Muller, and Robert Young. 2017. A transformative Outlook on the 21st Century city: Patrick Geddes’ Outlook Tower revisited. Landscape and Urban Planning. 166:90-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. landurbplan.2017.05.015
- Cerra, Joshua F. 2017. Emerging strategies for voluntary urban ecological stewardship on private property. Landscape and Urban Planning. 157: 586-597. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.06.016.
- Muller, Brook, Adell Amos, Josh Cerra, Noelwah Netusil et al. 2021, in press. “Redrawing Our Urban Waters: Seeking Synergies Between Design, Law and Policy in Advancing Distributed, Place-Based Approaches to Urban Water Systems,” in Ken Yocom, eds., Water Handbook. London: Routledge Press
Josh's Research Site https://cals.cornell.edu/joshua-frank-cerra
Awards & Honors
- 2022 First Place student poster competition. American Society of Landscape Architects, New York Upstate Chapter. Faculty Advisor. Project: FLOOD//LAND, Dominic Malacaman, Cornell University.
- 2018 Communications Honor Award. National ASLA Student Awards. Faculty Advisor. American Society of Landscape Architects. “A Student’s Guide to Environmental Justice Version 1.3.” Team: Kari Spiegelhalter, Theresa Ruswick, Patricia Noto.
- 2018 Faculty Fellowship for Social Sciences, Humanities , and the Arts. Principal Investigator. Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future.
- 2017 General Design Honor Award. National ASLA Student Awards. Faculty Advisor. American Society of Landscape Architects. “Weaving the Waterfront.” Team: Hong Gao, Luyao Kong, Qianli Feng.
- 2016 ASL General Design Award. National ASLA Professional Awards. Project team member. Eco-Corridor Resurrects Former Brownfield. Ningbo, China.
- 2015 Excellence in Design Studio Teaching Junior Faculty Award. Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture.
- 2014 Young Faculty Teaching Excellence Award. College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University.
- 2013 ASLA Analysis and Planning Honor Award. National ASLA Professional Awards. Project team member. Ningbo Eco-Corridor 3.3 km Living Filter, Ningbo, China.
- 2012 ASLA Analysis and Planning Honor Award. National ASLA Professional Awards. Project team member. Wusong Riverfront: Landscape Infrastructure Pilot Project Kunshan City, Jiangsu Province, China.
- LA 7010 WRI's Climate-adaptive Design site
- LA 4020 Adaptive Technologies Design Lab
- LA 4070/6070 Emerging Dimensions in Urban Ecology and Sustainable Practice
- LA 6940 Building with Birds
443 Kennedy Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
jfc299 [at] cornell.edu
Master of Landscape Architecture
University of Minnesota
College of Design
Bachelor of Arts in Biology
Joshua in the news
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, in partnership with Cornell, is announcing a chance for Hudson riverfront communities to host the university’s Department of Landscape Architecture’s Climate-Adaptive Design Studio in...
- Landscape Architecture
- Climate Change
The faculty recipients of the 2021 Innovative Teaching and Learning Awards will use grants of up to $20,000 to explore new teaching technologies and strategies to enhance the student learning environment across campus.
- Landscape Architecture
- Neurobiology and Behavior
- School of Integrative Plant Science