Introduction to Artisan Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
This workshop is designed for the artisan ice cream manufacturer and will focus on types of frozen desserts, composition and physical properties, equipment, ingredients, sensory, food safety, and frozen dessert manufacture.
This workshop is designed for the artisan ice cream manufacturer and will give participants the tools to understand ice cream food safety, frozen dessert composition, compare types, and discuss different physical properties.
We will identify basic ice cream-making equipment required to start a small-scale operation as well as industrial ice cream equipment. Both dairy and plant-based ingredients will be reviewed and discussed.
Attendees will experience small-scale production in our pilot plant and tour our state-of-the-art dairy plant. A highlight of the workshop will be a showcase of the newest, hottest flavors and plenty of sensory and sampling.
This course will provide attendees with information in key areas, along with key learning outcomes in each area:
- Distinguish between ice cream products (bulk, novelties, etc.) and innovation trends (frozen Greek yogurt, made-to-order, 3D printing.)
Ice Cream Microbiology
- Define microbiological hazards that pose unique challenges in ice cream
- Salmonella from ingredients added post-pasteurization
- Describe potential consumer uses that may modify microbiological risks
Ice Cream Equipment
- Identify unique aspects of ice cream manufacturing and associated food safety challenges
- Discuss the importance of environmental sources, particularly Listeria monocytogenes
- Describe cross contamination, including allergens
Ingredients added post-pasteurization
- Recognize and explain hazards associated with different ingredients
- Compare value of product specs) CoAs) versus audits
As this is not part of the Certificate Program, there is no test required.
- Composition and Physical Properties of Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
- Good Manufacturing Practices
- Ice Cream Food Safety
- Mix Manufacture and Formulation
- Plant-based Frozen Desserts
- Frozen Dessert Equipment
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Regulations and Facility Design
Video Conference Session:
- Case Study
- Formulation and Scale-Up
- Fruit, Flavorings, and Ingredient Processing
- Step-by-Step Small-Scale Ice Cream Production Video
- Types of Frozen Desserts
- Sensory of Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
- Continuous Freezer Ice Cream Production Video Tour
- Troubleshooting Q&A
- General Q&A
- $650-$725 for in-state registrants
- $725-$880 for out-of-state registrants
- Limited to the first 30 participants
Extension Program Director
rdr10 [at] cornell.edu
Additional instructors and contributors to this course include representatives of NY State Agriculture & Markets and guest instructors from industry.
- Hybrid: Self-paced online and live instructor-led video conference
- Online session opens on 04/01/2021
- Live session on 04/29/2021