Department Chair, Professor, Landscape Architecture
C. Timothy Baird, FASLA, PLA is Professor and Chair of Landscape Architecture at Cornell University with over four decades of academic and practice experience at seven universities, including Penn, Harvard, LSU, Texas Tech, Penn State, Ohio State, and Cornell, and a variety of firms including Collins DuTot, Hanna/Olin, Ltd., Anthony Walmsley, Kuwaiti Engineers’ Office, Garrett Eckbo, PWPLA, Hargreaves Associates, and MVVA. His writing and drawings have been published in Scape’s Dossier, Critiques of Built Works of Landscape Architecture, Garten und Landschaft, Landscape Architecture Magazine, Landscape Design, Landscape Review, Ecological Design and Planning, and the Landscape Journal. Baird is the recipient of a Dumbarton Oaks Summer Fellowship, a Knight Cities Challenge grant, and was the Trott Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Ohio State University. In addition to his teaching and scholarly pursuits, Baird has practiced landscape architecture since 2004 as an Adjunct Principal with the award-winning critical practice, Landworks Studio, Inc. in Boston and Salem, MA. He holds a BLA from Louisiana State University and an MLA from the University of Pennsylvania.
- 2019. Baird, C. Timothy, Oprean, Danielle, Duarte, Jose, “Conceptualizing the Remote Site Experience Through Immersive Technology: Unveiling the Santa Marta Informal Settlement in Rio from a Student’s Perspective,” Landscape Journal, January 2020, pp. 31-49.
- 2019. Baird, C. Timothy, “Reclaiming Urban Ground in Philadelphia, USA,” SCAPE Dossier, Berlin, Germany, pp. 31-35.
- 2007. Baird, C. Timothy and Szczygiel, Bonj, “Sociology of Professions: The Evolution of Landscape Architecture in the United States,” Landscape Review, Volume 12, Number 1, 3-25.
Awards & Honors
- 2015 Knight Cities Challenge Winner (32 winners out of 7,160 national entries) by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- 2015 Dumbarton Oaks Summer Fellowship
- 2015 Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) Excellence in Design Studio Teaching Award
- LA 7020 Advanced Design Studio
- LA 6020 Integrating Theory and Practice II
- LA 6940 Landscape Architecture Beyond Modernism
440 Kennedy Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
ctb97 [at] cornell.edu
Master of Landscape Architecture
University of Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
Louisiana State University
Timothy in the news
But changes in transportation and labor costs eventually led to the terminal’s closure. Over the past 65 years, the abandoned site has changed hands multiple times. The facility is one of many post-industrial sites in areas that are now prime...
- Landscape Architecture