The 2022 Small Grains Management Field Day is to be held Thursday, June 2nd from 9:30 am - noon at Poormon Farms in Seneca Falls, NY.
- Registration check-in and refreshments, 9:30 – 10 AM
- View winter wheat and winter barley variety plots
- Welcome and introductions, 10 AM
- 2022 Crop development and management observations, Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crops Educators, Mike Stanyard leading
- Discussion of preharvest sprouting, low falling numbers in 2021 – how can we prevent a repeat?
- Discussion of wheat lodging issues – causes and solutions
- Recommended small grain varieties and availability of seed, Mark Sorrells, David Benscher, Phil Atkins
- Progress on the ‘Born, Bred, and Brewed in New York’ winter barley variety development, Karl Kunze
- Refreshment Break
- Update on integrated disease management in small grains – including best fungicide options, grain quality and mycotoxin surveys in malting barley, Gary Bergstrom
- New York grains for New York schools, Cheryl Bilinski
- Update on ‘Value-added Grains’ and ‘Northeast Grainshed’ projects, Mark Sorrells, others
- Updates and comments from attendees [incl. market conditions, new products and services]
Pre-registration is required
NYS Pesticide Applicator Recertification Credits Available (3.0); 1.0 crop management and 1.0 IPM CCA credits will be available
Date & Time
June 2, 2022
9:30 am - 12:00 pm
More information about this event.
- jnt3 [at] cornell.edu
Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology Section
Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
We openly share valuable knowledge. Often through email.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.