Vice Provost for Engagement and Land-Grant Affairs, Office of the Provost
Professor, Department of Communication
- Lu, H., Song, H., & McComas, K. A. Seeking information about enhanced geothermal systems: The role of fairness, uncertainty, systematic processing, and information engagement intentions. Renewable Energy.
- Siemer, W. F., Lauber, T. B., Schuler, K., Verant, M., Herzog, C. J., & McComas, K. A. (2020). Predictors of intentions to conserve bats among New York property owners. Human Dimensions of Wildlife.
- Lu, H., McComas, K. A., Kretser, H., & Lauber, T. B. (2020). Scared yet compassionate? Exploring the order effects of threat versus suffering messages on attitude toward scary victims. Science Communication. 42:3-30.
- Balog-Way, D., McComas, K. A., & Besley, J. (2020). The evolving field of risk communication. Risk Analysis: an International Journal.
- Song, H., Lu, H., & McComas, K. A. (2020). The role of fairness in early characterization of new technologies: Effects on selective exposure and risk perception. Risk Analysis: an International Journal.
- Balog-Way, D., & McComas, K. A. (2020). COVID-19: Reflections on trust, tradeoffs, and preparedness. Journal of Risk Research.
- Song, H., McComas, K. A., & Schuler, K. L. (2019). Hunters’ responses to urine-based scent bans tackling chronic wasting disease. The Journal of Wildlife Management. 83:457-466.
- Liao, W., Yuan, Y., & McComas, K. A. (2018). Communal risk information sharing: Motivations behind voluntary information sharing for reducing interdependent risks in a community. Communication Research. 45:909-933.
- Song, H., McComas, K. A., & Schuler, K. (2018). Source Effects on Psychological Reactance to Regulatory Policies: The Role of Trust and Similarity. Science Communication. 40:591-620.
- Holley, J., McComas, K. A., & Hare, M. P. (2018). Troubled Waters: Risk Perception and the Case of Oyster Restoration in the Closed Waters of the Hudson-Raritan Estuary. Marine Policy. 91:104-112.
- Scared Yet Compassionate? Exploring the Order Effects of Threat Versus Suffering Messages on Attitude Toward Scary Victims. International Communication Association Annual Meeting. May 2019. Washington DC.
- When the Greatest Risk Lies in Not Trying New Things: A “Business Model” for Resiliency. SRA 5th World Congress. May 2019. Society for Risk Analysis. Cape Town, South Africa.
- Communication challenges of the future: Recognition, reconciliation, and rewards. EFSA Conference on Science, Food, & Society. September 2018. European Food Safety Authority. Parma, Italy.
- Communicating about One Health: Promoting Systems-Level Thinking in a Soundbite Culture. Korean Society for Journalism and Communication Studies Annual Conference. October 2017. Seoul, South Korea.
- Motivations and Barriers in the Face of Risk Communication. The Royal Society Policy Salon. October 2017. The Royal Society. London, United Kingdom.
- Troubled Waters: Risk Perception and the Case of Oyster Restoration in the Closed Waters of the Hudson-Raritan Estuary. AEJMC 2017 Annual Conference. August 2017. Chicago, IL.
- One Health messaging about bats and rabies: How framing of risks, benefits, and attributions can support public health and wildlife conservation goals. Society for Risk Analysis 2015 Annual Meeting. December 2015. Arlington, VA.
- How do people think about marine health? Exploring motivated reasoning about the links between climate change, oyster disease, and human health. International Communication Association (ICA). May 2014. ICA. Seattle, WA.