Transition Cow Management
This course has been completed. Sign up to receive information about upcoming online courses and other events.
In this course, you will learn the basics of transition cow management, then quickly build from there.
- Transition Cow Physiology/Biology
- Nutritional Strategies for Transition Cows
- Fresh Cow Health Management
- Metabolic Disease
- Non-Nutritional Management
- Monitoring Health
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for dairy business on-farm personnel (owner or employee) who are seeking to increase their knowledge of dairy transition cow management. Participants should possess a formal or informal background in dairy cattle management, but not necessarily in transition cow management.
The course is ideal for individuals who:
- have been working with dairy cows and are looking to increase their knowledge of transition cow management
- have had some formal training or course work but want a refresher on transition cow management
- have been working with the farm transition cow program but want to know more about the how, what and why
- have wanted to improve the transition cow performance of a herd but need to know where to start
- have wanted to increase the skills provided to the farm or farm employer
How it works
This is a seven-week course offered online through Moodle, an easy-to-use online interface viewed on your personal computer’s web browser. Presentations for each topic are pre-recorded and are accessible whenever is convenient to the participant. An optional live Q & A session with presenters is held on Thursdays weekly via an online webinar. Corresponding assignments are due each week. To get the most out of the experience, you should expect to spend approximately two hours per week on the lessons and assignments.
This course has been approved for a maximum of 2.1 CEUs from the Cornell School of Continuing Education. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate notifying you of the CEUs awarded.