Senior Extension Associate, Animal Science PRO-DAIRY
Outreach and Extension Focus
Collaborate and work closely with county or regional 4-H Extension educators with dairy youth responsibilities by providing educational material, resources, guest participation and guidance. Programs include:
- Regional and State 4-H Dairy Quiz Bowl- over 450 youth participate in this jeopardy like contest to learn about the dairy industry each year both on a junior and senior level. In addition to providing the program materials for these contest on a regional and state level, I changed the question context and approach to include more business management, nutrient management, profitability and production management questions to stimulate and challenge their thinking and learning about the dairy industry in the Northeast.
- Dairy Cattle Judging- 300 youth from around the state participate in dairy cattle judging clinics and contest each year. Youth learn about the dairy industry, science and the functional animal.
Cooperate with the dairy youth superintendent and Extension youth educators at the New York State fair in facilitating and coordinating dairy youth educational programs each year. Over 300 youth participate yearly in dairy educational programs at the State fair in judging; showing and dairy management skills contest.
Dairy Focus to NY State 4-H Career Exploration Program. Provides youth with hands-on learning, interaction with University and industry professionals and career awareness. 30 participants
Direct, plan and coordinate yearlong Cornell PRO-DAIRY Junior DAIRY LEADER Program. This program is intended for youth between the ages of 16 to 19 who have an interest in leadership development, dairy careers, and personal and professional planning in those areas.
New York State Animal Crackers Program for youth ages 9 to 13. Provides youth with a unique opportunity to experience science oriented hands-on activities in a university setting while exploring career options in the animals sciences and expanding their knowledge in specific specie area.
Youth Dairy Discovery Program for 15 to 19 year olds. 60 to 80 youth and adults attend annually who have an interest in hands-on learning in dairy production management.
Cooperate with the dairy youth superintendent and extension youth educators at the NYS Fair to facilitate and coordinate dairy youth educational programs. Over 300 youth participate yearly in dairy youth educational programs each year.
Involved in the planning and delivery of bi-annual dairy industry Operations Managers Conference in 2009 and 2011.
Worked with New York State Cattle Health Assurance Program to develop Animal Welfare Certification Program.
- Master of Professional Studies
- Bachelor of Science
Awards & Honors
- Sigma Alpha Advisor of the Year (2014) Sigma Alpha National Sorority
- Friend of Extension Award-Youth Animal Science Team (2013) Cornell Cooperative Extension of Chemung County
- Outstanding Accomplishments in Extension/Outreach Team Award (2012) CALS at Cornell
- Outstanding Accomplishments in Extension/Outreach Award (2010) College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Cornell University
Dairy Youth Program
272 Morrison Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
djc27 [at] cornell.edu
Deborah in the news
Enthusiasm was palpable at Junior DAIRY LEADER graduation, held in August on the Cornell campus at Morrison Hall. The day is a culmination of an intense year of hands-on learning, exposure to industry issues, networking, farm tours and travel...
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Cornell Dairy
Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) and the New York State 4-H Youth Development program recently held Animal Crackers, a full-day interactive event for students aged eight and up with interest in animal science. This year’s event happened on May 7th and marked the first year of returning to entirely in-person programming. Dana Palmer, Senior Extension Associate of Cornell’s 4-H Youth Extension, reflects on this year’s successes.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Animal Science