Our mission

Cornell Field Crops delivers applied research and extension-based information on integrated crop-, soil- and pest-mangement for grain, forage and soybean growers and educators in New York and beyond. Our goal is to increase the productivity and profitability of New York’s agricultural producers and related industries while protecting the environment for the benefit of all New York citizens. 

Within this site, you will find production information for New York's main field crops based upon the latest research being conducted by our faculty and researchers as well as resources and tools to enhance production efforts.

Corn Stalks

Corn is a major field crop in New York state with more than 1 million acres planted annually. Typically, grain corn (including dry-shelled and high-moisture) represents 55% of the acreage, whereas corn silage represents the remaining 45%.

Field of alfalfa

The centerpiece of New York state agriculture is dairy farming, and the base for this industry is forage crops. Northeast livestock farmers must be able to manage a profitable business that is also sustainable in terms of environmental stewardship, and forage-livestock systems can have a positive impact on sustainable agriculture.

Green wheat in a field

Small grains, which include winter and spring wheat, winter and spring barley, oats, and rye, play an important role in crop rotations on many New York farms. Under good soil conditions and management practices, small grains can produce profitable yields of grain for the cash market or farm feeding.

dried down soybean pod and bean

Acreage of soybeans in New York continues to increase, not just in the traditional district at the head of the Finger Lakes, but throughout the state. Although soybeans are not difficult to grow, buyers are discriminating about seed quality, so producers must learn to harvest and handle the crop with skill and care.

cereal leaf beetle in petri dish

The NYS IMP Program helps you deal with pests—with the weeds, insects, and plant diseases that infest your crops, and the mites, ticks, flies, and lice that plague your livestock. Their research, workshops, demonstrations, and publications help you find answers to problems new and old.

cover crop roots in soil

Interest in soil health practices such as reducing tillage, planting cover crops, and using organic amendments has expanded greatly in recent years, yet barriers to adoption persist. The NY Soil Health project facilitates collaboration among the many on-going efforts across the state to implement research, outreach, and policy solutions to address these barriers to adoption.

Follow us on social media

Field crops in the news

Four men sit around a table looking at project paperwork.

Field Note

Field testing new soil treatments for sustainable forage production
Postdoctoral Research Associate Jasdeep Singh of the Cornell Nutrient Management Spear Program (NMSP) is researching the impacts of soil health practices on corn silage yield, soil health indicators, and greenhouse gas emissions. In Central New...
  • PRO-DAIRY
  • Field Crops
  • Dairy
Person wearing CCE garb, sitting on a truck tailgate with a net

News

A Jefferson County native, Hunter grew up working on his family’s dairy farm and has dedicated his career to supporting New York’s agriculture and agribusiness sectors. Prior to joining NYSIPM, Hunter spent 25 years as a field crops specialist...
  • New York State Integrated Pest Management
  • Field Crops
two hands hold dry manure

News

Manure is a great source of nutrients, but recent studies show there is something even more magical about it. Read on to learn more about the importance of soil health to yield, the ways that manure can influence this and how the Nutrient...
  • Animal Science
  • Agriculture
  • Field Crops