Discover CALS

See how our current work and research is bringing new thinking and new solutions to some of today's biggest challenges.

Major Changes

About 20% of CALS Students change their major within their first two years. College is  a time to explore, try new things, and open doors you might never have had the opportunity to open before. If you find that you are no longer content in your major but you are unsure of what major is a good fit for you, then visit with the CALS Career Advisors in 140 Roberts Hall.

The CALS Career team can provide you with personal assessments, and career exploration in various majors. Once you have an idea of what major you'd like to pursue, try it out! Take a few classes and explore the major prior to deciding if that is the right major for you.

Once you have decided that the major is a good fit, contact the major coordinator. They can answer your questions about the major and explain the application process. Some majors have requirements that must be met before you are accepted to the major, for instance you may have to take specific courses or meet a GPA requirement. Once you are approved to change your major, the major coordinator will help you secure a new advisor if necessary and initiate the change in your record with the college Registrar.


The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell is one of the best colleges of its kind in the world. It is a place where world-class faculty and top-notch students come together in an environment that promotes mutual respect, diversity, inquisitiveness, and dedication to applying knowledge with public purpose.

CALS students can choose from over 20 exciting majors and more than 25 minors, many of which are cross-departmental to take advantage of the knowledge, experience, and expertise of faculty from several disciplines. Each major department has specific criteria and requirements to be accepted into their program. If you are a CALS Student and interested in exploring a new major, make sure to follow the criteria for admissions into that specific major. Find out more about each major and minor by visiting the CALS Program Finder.

Change majors to another college at Cornell University

The Office of Internal Transfer assists undergraduate students who are considering transfer between colleges within Cornell. The internal transfer process requires students to apply and the criteria for admission vary by program. If you have a clear idea of what you want to pursue, you can contact the admissions or advising office in your target college. Visit the Internal Transfer Office for more information.

Dyson Students

Dyson School students who wish to transition to another CALS major should apply through the internal transfer process. As the Dyson School is uniquely positioned in both the SC Johnson College of Business and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, CALS is committed to working closely with Dyson students who seek to join another major within the College. Submitted applications will receive every consideration.

Declaring or Dropping a Second Major

CALS students can declare a second undergraduate major only if both majors are within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (note: this includes AEM major/Dyson School students). Students should contact the department of interest to discuss requirements and identify a second faculty advisor. Students must complete the requirements set forth by both departments in order to graduate with a double major. It is the student’s responsibility to keep both faculty advisors informed. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain signatures from each faculty advisor on the Application to Graduate.

Students wishing to remove a second major from their record may contact the CALS Student Services Office, 140 Roberts Hall, cals-studentservices [at]

Declaring a Minor

CALS students can declare a minor from the list of approved minors which have been reviewed by the CALS Curriculum Committee. It is not necessary to file paperwork with the college when adding a minor. Students interested in completing a minor should speak to the department contact for requirements and guidance. When filing Part II of the Application to Graduate, it is the student’s responsibility to identify the minor and to obtain signatures from all major and minor advisors. Minors are added to the record just prior to degree completion and will appear on the final transcript post-graduation.