Plant Sciences Major course requirements
Students who major in Plant Sciences must complete coursework for the college and program that includes:
- Completing approximately two years of “core” or foundational coursework, plus the required coursework in at least one concentration.
- Developing an ePortfolio.
- Engaging in an out-of-classroom experience related to the major.
Core coursework in biology, chemistry, statistics and plant biology should be completed as early as possible, and transfer students should complete most of these courses before matriculating at Cornell.
The current requirements are considered the minimum for a well-rounded foundation in plant science. Students interested in pursuing a scientific career or graduate education are encouraged to take biochemistry, calculus and physics as electives, over and above the core requirements.
- All courses taken for the major, including concentration courses, must be taken for a letter grade.
- In addition to the requirements below, you must also meet the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Graduation Requirements.
- To learn more about the courses listed, visit the Courses of Study website.
Life sciences core (biology, chemistry, mathematics)
Plant Sciences majors must take at least one introductory biology course and one investigative lab course, at least one semester of general chemistry and another of organic chemistry, and a course in quantitative literacy.
These general requirements have been organized around three career tracks, below.
- PS majors should not enroll in CHEM 2150: Honors General and Inorganic Chemistry!
- Students interested in the pre-medicine and pre-pharmacy tracks need to consult closely with their advisors and pre-health counselors to ensure they are taking all of the appropriate courses in the correct sequence. For example, these two tracks require an additional organic chemistry class, CHEM 2510: Introduction to Experimental Organic Chemistry (2 cr), that is not required for the science track.
Questions? Contact us
Leah Cynara Cook
Plant Sciences Major Coordinator
Phone: (607) 255-1257
Email: lcc2 [at] cornell.edu
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Phone: (607) 255-1778
Email: mpp3 [at] cornell.edu