Post Doctoral Associate, Animal Science
Sahil Kalia is working as a Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Animal Science at Cornell University. His primary research focus is to simultaneously enrich the broiler chickens' meat with omega 3 fatty acids and calcidiol. His research's long-term goal is to investigate the potential health benefits to humans after eating bio enriched chickens. Sahil did his PhD at the Defence Institute of High Altitude Research, India, where he worked on developing phytogenic feed additives.
Research Area(s): Poultry Nutrition and Physiology
Advisor: Xingen Lei
- PhD. (Animal Biotechnology with specialization in Poultry Nutrition)
- Defense Institute of High Altitude Research, DRDO, Leh-Ladakh, India
Poultry Digestive Physiology
Phytogenic feed additive composition and process for preparation for broiler chickens. Inventors: Kalia S, Bharti VK, Giri A, Kumar B (Published with Indian Patent Office Application No: 201711014501)
- Kalia S, Magnuson A, Liu G, Lei XG. 2021. Microalgae: A unique source of poultry feed protein. In: Lei XG (ed) Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited, doi: 10.19103/AS.2021.0091.16.
- Bharti VK, Kalia S, Giri A, Kumar B. 2019. Sea buckthorn and apricot based nutraceuticals. In: Gupta R, Srivastava A, Lall R (eds) Nutraceuticals in Veterinary Medicine. Springer, Cham, doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-04624-8_6.
- Kalia S, Magnuson A, Sun T, Sun Z, Lei XG. DHA and calcidiol interaction over key genes involved in lipid and vitamin D metabolism affected their combined enrichment in the broiler tissues. Journal of Nutrition [Under Review]
- Kalia S, Sun T, Wyman BM, Lei XG. Impact of microalgal feeding on broiler meat quality traits and associated gene expression. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry [Under Review]
- Kalia S, Sun T, Lei XG. Bioefficacy and biosafety evaluation of DHA-calcidiol fortified chicken meat using a mouse model. Journal of Nutrition [Under Review]
- Kalia S, Magnuson A, Sun T, Lei XG. Combined supplementation of microalgae and calcidiol improve broiler production performance, meat lipid profile, and bone health status. Poultry Science [Under Review]
- Kalia S and Lei XG. Dietary microalgae on poultry meat and eggs: explained vs unexplained effects. 2022. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 75:102689; doi: 10.1016/j.copbio.2022.102689. [IF: 10.28]
- Kalia S, Bharti VK, Giri A, Malairaman U, Biswas A, Kumar B. 2021. Effect of Salix alba leave extract on growth performance, antioxidant level and immune status of broiler chickens reared at high altitude cold desert. Biologia 6: 3003-3015. [IF: 1.65]
- Kalia S, Bharti VK, Giri A, Kumar B, Arora A, Balaje SS. 2018. Hippophae rhamnoides as a novel phytogenic feed additive for broiler chickens at high altitude cold desert. Scientific Reports-Nature 8:5954; doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-24409-9. [IF: 5.00]
- Kalia S, Bharti VK, Giri A, Kumar B. 2017. Effect of Prunus armeniaca seed extract on health, survivability, antioxidant, blood biochemical and immune status of broiler chickens at high altitude cold desert. Journal of Advanced Research 8: 677-686. [IF: 12.82]
- Kalia S, Bharti VK, Gogoi D, Giri A, Kumar B. 2017. Studies on the growth performance of different broiler strains at high altitude and evaluation of probiotic effect on their survivability. Scientific Reports-Nature 7:46074; doi: 10.1038/srep46074. [IF: 5.00]
- Kalia S, Bharti VK, Giri A, Vivek P, Kumar B, Malairaman U. 2017. Effects of hydro-alcoholic extract of Rhodiola imbricata on growth performance, immunomodulation, antioxidant level and blood biochemical parameters in broiler chickens at high altitude cold desert. The Indian Journal of Animal Science 87 (10): 1200-1206. [IF: 0.30]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Kumar B, Mayarngam K. 2022. Hydrochemical and quality assessment of irrigation water at the trans-Himalayan high-altitude regions of Leh, Ladakh, India. Applied Water Science [In Press]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Kumar B, Chaurasia OP. 2021. Health risk assessment of heavy metals through cow milk consumption in Trans-Himalayan high-altitude region. Biological Trace Element Research doi: 10.1007/s12011-021-02593-6. [IF: 4.08]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Acharya S, Kumar B, Chaurasia OP. 2021. Health risk assessment of heavy metals due to wheat, cabbage, and spinach consumption at cold-arid high-altitude region. Biological Trace Element Research doi: 10.1007/s12011-021-03006-4. [IF: 4.08]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Arora A, Balaje SS, Chaurasia OP. 2020. A review on water quality and dairy cattle health: a special emphasis on high‐altitude region. Applied Water Science 10:79. [IF: 5.41]
- Vivek P, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Giri A, Kumar K, Kumar B. 2019. Protective effects of melatonin against fluoride-induced oxidative stress in rats at high altitude. The Indian Journal of Animal Science 89 (1): 34-39. [IF: 0.30]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Kumar K, Raj T, Chaurasia OP. 2019. Utility of multivariate statistical analysis to identify factors contributing river water quality in two different seasons in cold-arid high-altitude region of Leh-Ladakh, India. Applied Water Science 9 (26): 1-15 [IF: 5.41]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Chaurasia OP. 2018. Evaluation of antioxidant status in serum and milk of jersey cross-bred in different season under high-altitude stress condition. Biological Rhythm Research, doi: 10.1080/09291016.2018.1497769. [IF: 1.36]
- Verma P, Sharma A, Sodhi M, Thakur K, Bharti V, Kumar P, Giri A, Kalia S, Swami S K, Mukesh M. 2018. Overexpression of genes associated with hypoxia in cattle adapted to Trans Himalayan region of Ladakh. Cell Biology International, doi: 10.1002/cbin.10981. [IF: 4.47]
- Verma P, Sharma A, Sodhi M, Thakur K, Kataria R, Niranjan SK, Bharti VK, Kumar P, Giri A, Kalia S, Mukesh M. 2018. Transcriptome analysis of circulating PBMCs to understand mechanism of high altitude adaptation in native cattle of Ladakh region. Scientific Reports-Nature 8:7681; doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-25736-7. [IF: 5.00]
- Sodhi M, Kataria RS, Niranjan SK, Pravesh K, Verma P, Swami SK, Sharma A, Bharti VK, Kumar B, Iqbal M, Rabgais S, Kumar P, Giri A, Kalia S, Gagoi D, Sarangi PP, Mukesh M. 2018. Sequence characterization and genotyping of allelic variants of beta casein gene establishes native cattle of Ladakh to be a natural resources for A2 milk. Defence Life Journal, doi: 10.14429/dlsj.3.12574. [IF: 0.71]
- Vivek P, Bharti VK, Giri A, Kalia S, Raj T, Kumar B. 2018. Endurance exercise causes adverse changes in some hematological and physio biochemical indices in ponies under high altitude stress condition. The Indian Journal of Animal Science 88 (2): 222-228. [IF: 0.30]
- Vivek P, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Giri A, Nehra K, Kumar R, Chaurasia OP, Kumar B. 2018. Evaluation of different physio-biochemicals indices of exercise performance in Zanskar ponies. Indian Journal of Animal Research, doi: 10.18805/ijar.B-3501. [IF: 0.43]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Ravindran VT, Ranjan P, Raj T, Kumar B. 2017. Seasonal changes in haematological and biochemical profile of dairy cows at high altitude cold desert. The Indian Journal of Animal Science 87 (6): 723-727. [IF: 0.30]
- Bharti VK, Giri A, Vivek P, Kalia S. 2017. Health and productivity of dairy cattle in high altitude cold desert environment of Leh- Ladakh: A review. The Indian Journal of Animal Science 87 (1): 3-10. [IF: 0.30]
- Giri A, Bharti VK, Kalia S, Kumar K, Raj T, Kumar B. 2017. Utility of multivariate statistical analysis to identify factors contributing groundwater quality in high altitude region of Leh-Ladakh, India. Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution 14 (4): 61-75.
Ladakhi Cattle: A Unique Animal Genetic Resource Adapted to High Altitude of Leh- Ladakh. Mukesh M, Kataria RS, Niranjan Saket K, Pundir RK, , Kumari P, Kumar SS, Sharma A, Bharti VK, Giri A, Kumar P, Kalia S, Gogoi D, Kumar B, Iqbal M, Rabgais S, Ahmad S. ICAR-NBAGR, DRDO-DIHAR, Animal Husbandry Department, Leh. India. Publication No. 104/2017. pp. 1-15.