Senior Associate Dean, Office of the Senior Associate Deans
Professor, Department of Communication
482 Mann Library Building
Ithaca, NY 14853
seb272 [at] cornell.edu
- Byrne, S., Kalaji, M., & Niederdeppe, J. (2018). Does Visual Attention to Graphic Warning Labels on Cigarette Packs Predict Key Outcomes among Youth and Low-income Smokers? Tobacco Regulatory Science (TRS). 4:18-37.
- Byrne, S., Safi, A. G., Kemp, D., Skurka, C., Davydova, J., Scolere, L., Mathios, A. D., Avery, R. J., Dorf, M. C., Steinhardt, J., & Niederdeppe, J. (2017). Effects of Varying Color, Imagery, and Text of Cigarette Package Warning Labels among Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Middle School Youth and Adult Smokers. Health Communication. 34:306-316.
- Schuldt, J., McComas, K. A., & Byrne, S. (2016). Communicating about ocean health: Theoretical and practical considerations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.
- Byrne, S., Katz, S., Mathios, A., & Niederdeppe, J. (2014). Do the ends justify the means? A test of alternatives to the FDA proposed cigarette warning labels. Health Communication.
- Byrne, S., Katz, S. J., Lee, T., Linz, D., & McIlrath, M. (2014). Peers, predators, and porn: Predicting parental underestimation of children's risky online experiences. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 19:215-231.
- Byrne, S., Niederdeppe, J., Avery, R., & Cantor, J. (2013). "When diet and exercise are not enough": An examination of lifestyle change inefficacy claims in direct-to-consumer advertising. Health Communication. 28:800-813.
- Niederdeppe, J., Byrne, S., Avery, R., & Cantor, J. (2013). Exposure to direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical advertising, diagnosis with high cholesterol, and statin use. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 28:886-893.
- Byrne, S., Gay, G. K., Pollak, J. P., Gonzales, A. L., Retelny, D., Lee, T., & Wansink, B. (2012). Caring for Mobile Phone-Based Virtual Pets can Influence Youth Eating Behaviors. Journal of Children and Media. 6:83-89.
- Byrne, S., Guillory, J., Mathios, A., Avery, R., & Hart, P. S. (2012). The unintended consequences of disclosure: The impact of manipulating sponsor identification on the perceived credibility and effectiveness of smoking cessation advertisements. Journal of Health Communication. 17:1119-1137.
- Byrne, S., & Lee, T. (2011). Toward predicting youth resistance to internet risk prevention strategies. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. 55:90-113.