Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Global Development
Richard Dudley is an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Global Development. His research is focused on the analysis of natural resource management policy issues, especially those linked to international development. He is also involved in programs on small-scale fisheries management and the management of fisheries research. With an interest in system dynamics modeling investigations of natural resource and related policy issues, Richard assists students, and others, who would like to learn system dynamics modeling.
From 1983 through 2009 Richard worked on numerous projects with developing country scientists and managers to better understand, and manage, natural resources. Richard worked with small scale fisheries, park management, conservation, assessment of societal impacts on natural resources, and higher education. Since 1998 Richard has applied system dynamics modeling to policy questions related to resource management, and international development issues. Richard has held long term project leadership positions in Indonesia and Oman, and has held other long-term positions in Indonesia, Malawi, and Zambia. Prior to much of his international work Richard held fisheries teaching, research and extension positions at the University of Georgia and Oregon State University. Richard moved back to the USA in 2009. After joining Cornell in 2010 Richard taught a system dynamics modeling course and has assisted in other courses where an added systems perspective was desired.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Dudley, R. G. 2021. The Changing Landscape of Open Access Publishing: Can Open Access
- Publishing Make the Scholarly World More Equitable and Productive? Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, 9(General Issue), eP2345. https://doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.2345 .
- Dudley, R. G. 2010. A Little REDD Model to Quickly Compare Possible Baseline and Policy Scenarios for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 15(1):53-69.
- Dudley, R. G. 2008. A Basis for Understanding Fishery Management Dynamics. System Dynamics Review 24(1): 1-29.
- Dudley, R. G. 2004. The dynamic structure of social capital: How interpersonal connections create communitywide benefits. A paper prepared for presentation at the 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society July 25 – 29 2004. Oxford, UK. 22p + Figs.
- Dudley, R. G. 2004. Modeling the Effects of a Log Export Ban in Indonesia. System Dynamics Review 20 (2): 99-116.
- Dudley, R. G. 2004. A System Dynamics Examination of the Willingness of Villagers to Engage in Illegal Logging. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 19 (1/2/3):31-53. Co-published in Illegal Logging in the Tropics: Strategies for Cutting Crime. Ravenel, R.M., I.M.E. Granoff, and C.A. Magee, eds. Haworth Press.
- Dudley, R. G. 2003. Are International Development Projects Unfair to Local Staff? Dynamics of the Dual Salary Scale Question. Presented at the 2003 International System Dynamics Conference, New York City, July 20 - 24, 2003.
- Dudley, R. G. 2001. Dynamics of Illegal Logging in Indonesia. Chapter 16 in: Colfer, Carol J. Pierce, and Ida Aju Pradnja Resosudarmo, Editors. 2001. Which way forward? Forests, People and Policymaking in Indonesia. RFF. Washington, D. C.
- Dudley, R. G. 2000. The Rotten Mango: The Effect of Corruption on International Development Projects. Part 1: Building a System Dynamics Basis for Examining Corruption. Eighteenth International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. August 6-10, 2000. Bergen, Norway. 19p + app. (available as contribution 6 from the Internet Center for Corruption Research at: http://www.icgg.org/downloads/contribution06_dudley.pdf).
- Dudley, R. G. 2000. The Fishery of the Danau Sentarum Wildlife Reserve. Borneo Research Bulletin 31:261-306.
- Ravi Prabhu, Carol J. P. Colfer and Richard G. Dudley. 1999. Guidelines for developing, testing & selecting criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management. No. 1 in the Criteria and Indicators Toolbox Series. Center for International Forestry Research. Bogor, Indonesia. 186p.
- Dudley, R. G., A. Prabhakar Aghanashinikar, and E. B. Brothers. 1992. Management of Indo-Pacific Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus commerson) in Oman. Fisheries Research 15:17-43.
- PhD College of Natural Resources (Fisheries), University of Idaho. 1972.
- MS in Natural Resources (Fisheries, international agriculture), Cornell University. 1969.
- BS in Natural Resources (Fisheries), Cornell University. 1967.
- Study Program in System Dynamics Modeling 1998-9. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Systems Dynamics Group.
- Advanced Techniques for System Dynamics Modeling. 2004. Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Advanced Study Program in System Dynamics.
Natural resource management
System dynamics modeling
rgd6 [at] cornell.edu