The Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is committed to respecting users of our website. For that purpose, this policy has been adopted to address the collection and use of information from the CALS website. To maintain effective privacy practices, CALS retains the right to update this policy without notice.
CALS collects two types of information from users: information provided by the user to receive requested information and/or services, and information passively collected upon a user’s visit to our website.
Passively collected information
Special notice for EEA residents
If you are located within the European Economic Area (European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland), we acknowledge the rights granted to you under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
These rights may include:
- Right to access your information held by us
- Right to correct inaccurate or incorrect information about you
- Right to the erasure of your information when it is no longer necessary for us to retain it
- Right to restrict processing of your personal information in specific situations
- Right to object to processing your information, including sending you communications that may be considered direct-marketing materials
- Right to object to automated decision-making and profiling, where applicable
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority in your jurisdiction within the EU
Please contact us with any questions, concerns, or if you wish to exercise any of these rights: gdpr [at] cornell.edu
Please note that electronic communication is not guaranteed to be secure against interception. Do not send confidential data by email or web form.
Information provided by the user
Users may provide CALS with non-personally and personally identifiable information to utilize certain services and retrieve information. Such instances may not be noticeable to the user and include, but are not limited to: filling out surveys, completing registration information and submitting certain online forms.
Use of information
CALS uses information collected solely for internal purposes, such as part of enrollment in the college or to see what pages are most frequently visited, to improve our website. We do not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others. We may share your information across departments within CALS or within Cornell University, as appropriate. We may release account information when we believe, in good faith, that such release is reasonably necessary to:
- comply with law
- enforce or apply the terms of any of our user agreements or
- protect the rights, property or safety of CALS, any department or office affiliated with CALS, Cornell University, our users or others.
All information provided to CALS is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that allows your browser to automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect account information by placing it on a secure portion of our website that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of CALS. As effective as encryption technology is, however, no security system is completely impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of our database, nor can we guarantee that information you supply won't be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Our website contains links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another website for which CALS has no responsibility. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such sites as their policies may be different than ours.
Contacting the website