Adjunct Professor, School of Integrative Plant Science Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
Jiping Liu is a Research Molecular Biologist at the USDA-ARS Robert W. Holley Center for Agriculture and Health. Jiping's primary research is on plant mineral nutrition and resistance to soil-based abiotic stresses. Visit Liu's USDA website.
Plant resistance to soil-based abiotic stresses, focusing on low-pH (acidic), aluminum, and heavy-metal stresses
Plant mineral nutrition with an emphasis on mineral transport and allocation
Root development under abiotic stresses
We conduct research on plant nutrition and resistance to soil-based abiotic stresses. We integrate genetic, physiology, molecular, and genomics approaches to decipher the genetic and molecular mechanisms underlying plant mineral use efficiency and plant resistance to aluminum, low pH (acidic), and heavy-metal stresses. We aim to use the acquired knowledge to create crop cultivars with enhanced adaptability and productivity on marginal agricultural soils.
We are interested in addressing fundamental questions about how plants take up, transport, and store mineral ions and how plants resist low pH, aluminum, and heavy metal stresses. Our goals are to identify structural and regulatory components involved in mineral nutrient acquisition/allocation and resistance to soil-based abiotic stresses. Another research focuses on understanding the dynamic impact of low pH and aluminum stresses on root-stem-cell identity and root-meristem activities and identifying critical cellular components that regulate the process.
Selected Journal Publications
- Wang Y, Yang S, Li C, Hu T, Bai Q, Ji X, Xu F, Guo C, Huang M, Cai Y, Liu J (2022) The plasma-membrane localized OsNIP1;2 mediates internal aluminum detoxification in rice. Frontiers in Plant Science 13:970270.
- Jiang F, Lyi SM, Sun T, Li L, Wang T, Liu J (2022) Involvement of cytokinins in STOP1-mediated resistance to proton toxicity. Stress Biology 2:17.
- Yu W, Xue Z, Zhao X, Zhang R, Guo S, Liu J (2022) Glyphosate-induced GhAG2 is involved in resistance to salt stress in cotton. Plant Cell Reports 41:1131-1145.
- Wang Y, Kang Y, Yu W, Lyi SM, Choi HW, Xiao E, Li L, Klessig, DF, Liu J (2022) AtTIP2;2 facilitates resistance to zinc toxicity via promoting zinc immobilization in the root and limiting root-to-shoot zinc translocation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 233:113333.
- Potts J, Li H, Qin YG, Wu X, Hui D, Nasr KA, Zhou S, Yang Y, Fish T, Liu J, Thannhauser T, (2022) Using single cell type proteomics to identify Al-induced proteomics in outer layer cells and interior tissues in the apical meristem/cell division regions of tomato root-tips. Journal of Proteomics 255:104486.
- Wang Y, Xiao E, Wu G, Bai Q, Xu Feng, Ji X, Li C, Li L, Liu J (2021) The roles of selectivity filters in determining aluminum transport by AtNIP1;2. Plant Signaling & Behavior 16:12.
- Wang Y, Yu W, Cao Y, Cai Y, Lyi SM, Wu W, Kang Y, Liang C, Liu J (2020) An exclusion mechanism is epistatic to an internal detoxification mechanism in aluminum resistance in Arabidopsis. BMC Plant Biology 20:122.
- Zhao Z, Gao X, Ke Y, Chang M, Xie L, Li X, Gu M, Tang X, Liu J (2019) A unique aluminum resistance mechanism conferred by aluminum and salicylic-acid-activated root efflux of benzoxazinoids in maize. Plant and Soil 437:273-289.
- Qiu W, Wang N, Dai J, Wang T, Kochian LV, Liu J, Zuo Y (2019) AhFRDL1-mediated citrate secretion contributes to adaptation to iron deficiency and aluminum stress in peanuts. Journal of Experimental Botany 70:2873-2886.
- Qin L, Walk TC, Han P, Chen L, Zhang S, Li Y, Hu X, Xie L, Yang Y, Liu J, Lu X, Yu C, Tian J, Shaff J, Kochian LV, Liao X, Liao H (2019) Adaptation of rapeseed roots to N deficiency revealed by 3-D quantification and proteomic analysis. Plant Physiology 179:329-347.
- Wang Y, Cai Y, Cao Y, Liu J (2018) Aluminum-activated root malate, and citrate exudation is independent of NIP1;2-facilitated root-cell-wall aluminum removal in Arabidopsis. Plant Signaling & Behavior 13:1, e1422469.
- Jiang F, Wang T, Wang Y, Kochian LV, Chen F, Liu J (2017) Identification and characterization of suppressor mutants of stop1. BMC Plant Biology 17:128.
- Wang Y, Li R, Li D, Jia X, Zhou D, Li J, Lyi SM, Hou S, Huang Y, Kochian LV, Liu J (2017) NIP1;2 is a plasma membrane-localized transporter mediating aluminum uptake, translocation, and tolerance in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114:5047-5052.
- Zhou D, Yang Y, Zhang J, Jiang F, Jia X, Craft E, Thannhauser TW, Kochian LV, Liu J (2016) Quantitative iTRAQ proteomics revealed possible roles for antioxidant proteins in sorghum aluminum tolerance. Frontiers in Plant Science 7:2043.
- PLSCI 7000 SEM 103: Plant Breeding and Genetics Section Seminars (Instructor)
- PLBRG 4070: Nutritional Quality Improvement of Food Crops (Guest Instructor)