Friday, July 22, 2022
Designed for commercial apple and cider producers, all are welcome.
- Lunch will be included at Jordan Hall.
- Complimentary educational cider tasting will take place at Lake Drum and Star Cider Tasting Room. (Catered by Lake Drum Brewing. Bring your own cider to share as you wish. Cups will be provided.)
- Register by July 15 to be guaranteed lunch and cider tasting.
- Sponsored by Cornell Cooperative Extension and the New York Cider Association.
Participants will use their personal vehicles to get from location to location and can join us for whichever stops they are interested in seeing. Suggested registration fee to offset administrative costs: $5 per person. We greatly appreciate your contribution to this event. If you have any questions, please contact Greg Peck at gmp32 [at] cornell.edu or Scott Ramsey at scott [at] scottramsey.net
- 10:00 a.m.: Stop one - Star Cidery (Canandaigua Location)
3365 East Lake Road, Canandaigua, New York 14424
Visit with cidermaker and co-owner, Cortni Stahl to learn about their cidermaking process. From juice to packaged cider she will walk you through their apple selection and downstream processes as you tour their production and tasting room facilities.
Travel time: 30 minutes
- 11:30 p.m.: Stop two - USDA Germplasm Collection
630 West North Street, Geneva, NY 14456
Ben Gutierrez (USDA-ARS) describes the mission of the USDA’s apple germplasm collection. Greg Peck shares an update on his lab’s work to assess accessions within the germplasm collection for their potential use for the cider industry.
- 12:30 p.m.: Lunch at Jordan Hall and Tours of Cornell Agritech Craft Beverage Lab
630 W North St, Geneva, NY 14456
Following lunch at the Jordan Hall pavilion, Chris Gerling, Cortni Stahl and the Cornell Craft Beverage Institute will walk participants through the Craft Beverage Analysis Lab, the Vinification & Brewing Lab and the Fruit & Vegetable Processing Pilot Plant.
Travel time: 10 minutes
- 2:15 p.m.: Stop three - Red Jacket Orchards
957 Canandaigua Road, Geneva, NY 14456
Visit with Brian Nicholson who will give a tour of the juice facility and discuss their production processes and then Matt Murphy will give a tour of the nursery and orchards.
Travel time: 10 minutes
- 4:00 p.m.: Cider Pub Crawl with Lake Drum Brewing and Star Cidery
Lake Drum Brewing 16 E Castle Street, Geneva, NY 14456
Star Cider Tasting Room 495 Exchange Street, Geneva, NY 14456
Date & Time
July 22, 2022
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
More information about this event.
- gmp32 [at] cornell.edu
School of Integrative Plant Science
We openly share valuable knowledge. Often through email.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.