Our purpose

Our primary purpose is to assess the needs of stakeholders, prioritize opportunities, and promote and facilitate applied research and extension programs on integrated field crop, soil and pest management that increases the productivity and profitability of New York agriculture and related industries while protecting the environment for the benefit of all citizens of New York.

Within this site, you will find production information for New York's main field crops based upon the latest research being conducted by our faculty and researchers as well as resources and tools to enhance production efforts.

Field Crops

Corn

Corn is a major field crop in New York state with more than 1 million acres planted annually. Typically, grain corn represents 55% of the acreage, whereas corn silage represents the remaining 45%

Field Crops

Forages

The centerpiece of New York state agriculture is dairy farming, and the base for this industry is forage crops. Northeast livestock farmers must be able to manage a profitable business that is also sustainable in terms of environmental stewardship, and forage-livestock systems can have a positive impact on sustainable agriculture.

Field Crops

Small Grains

Small grains, which include winter and spring wheat, winter and spring barley, oats, and rye, play an important role in crop rotations on many New York farms. Under good soil conditions and management practices, small grains can produce profitable yields of grain for the cash market or farm feeding. Equally important is the value of the straw crop.

Field Crops

Soybeans

Acreage of soybeans in New York continues to increase, not just in the traditional district at the head of the Finger Lakes, but throughout the state. Although soybeans are not difficult to grow, buyers are discriminating about seed quality, so producers must learn to harvest and handle the crop with skill and care.

Field Crops

Integrated Pest Management

The NYS IPM Program helps you deal with pests—with the weeds, insects, and plant diseases that infest your crops, and the mites, ticks, flies, and lice that plague your livestock. Their research, workshops, demonstrations, and publications help you find answers to problems new and old.

Field Crops

NY Soil Health

Interest in soil health practices such as reducing tillage, planting cover crops, and using organic amendments has expanded greatly in recent years, yet barriers to adoption persist. The New York Soil Health project facilitates collaboration among the many on-going efforts across the state to implement research, outreach, and policy solutions to address these barriers to adoption.

Corn Stalks
Field of alfafa grass
Green wheat in a field
dried down soybean pod and bean
cereal leaf beetle in petri dish
close up for hands with soil

Follow us on social media

Field crops in the news

soybeans in cover crop

News

New no-till guide for organic soybean production
Farmers interested in using the rolled cover crop organic no-till soybean system can now find techniques and tips in the new guide produced by the Sustainable Cropping Systems Lab at Cornell University. The guide is by Matt Ryan of Cornell...
  • School of Integrative Plant Science
  • Soil and Crop Sciences Section
  • Agriculture
Beginning Farmer Training Program members harvesting in a field

Field Note

What kind of education or experience has prepared you for running the Beginning Farmer Training Program? Like many new farmers, when I got started, I was a generation removed from farming. I didn’t grow up surrounded by agriculture, but I would...
  • Cornell Cooperative Extension
  • Agriculture
  • Field Crops
Farmers on a tractor planting chickpeas in a field

News

A Schuyler County-Cornell pilot project could help New York farmers diversify their crops and give regional food manufacturers a cost-effective source for the popular legume.
  • Cornell AgriTech
  • Cornell Cooperative Extension
  • School of Integrative Plant Science