CALS Student Employment
Workday is now being utilized to post hourly student jobs. In order to hire an hourly student employee, the job must be posted in Workday starting August 1st.
Hiring managers must provide HR Student Employment with the position details utilizing the Student Job Posting Form. Once received:
- HR Student Employment posts the job
- Hiring manager/department manages the search:
- Screening candidates
- Moving candidates to the offer stage (including entering hire details)
- Declining candidates
- HR Student Employment will finalize the hire transaction and ensure that the posting has been closed.
Students cannot work until their hire has been processed; the hiring manager and the student will receive an e-mail notification confirming the hire and appropriate next steps.
- CALS Reference Guide for Hiring Hourly Student Employees
- Hiring of Hourly Student Employees Memo
- How to access your approved student job posting form
- Watch the 4-minute video on managing your search
All hourly student employees not previously employed at Cornell University must complete the federally required I-9 form.
After the student completes section 1 of the I-9, they will designate a family member or friend to review their work authorization documents. CALS Student Employment will then verify and approve the completion of the I-9 for hourly student employees; the department is responsible for graduate student employees.
The hourly student employee and hiring manager will receive an e-mail from CALS Student Employment with instructions on completing the I-9. There will be notifications from Workday that will be sent as well.
The I-9 must be successfully completed within three days of the student’s start date.
We openly share valuable knowledge.
Sign up for more insights, discoveries and solutions.