Academic Hiring

The following information is a resource to guide the search and recruitment processes in CALS. The senior associate deans are responsible for administering the processes relating to professorial faculty and are available to assist.

Resources for tenure-track faculty searches

Resources for tenure-track faculty hires

If you would like support for moving, Cornell University has an agreement with Coldwell Banker Relocation Services for residential and/or lab/office moves. The contact is Monica Varea, 781-684-4930, monica.varea [at]

Coldwell Banker Relocation Services also provides real estate services and information about the Ithaca area such as a free area tour in Ithaca/Geneva; contact with CBRS can be initiated with the request form, available on the Division of Human Resources website.

To initiate an inquiry about laboratory moves with CBRS, please use the “notes” box on the CBRS form to request information about the process, for which CBRS contracts with engage Relocation Management Resources. One does not need to use CBRS for residential relocation in order to arrange a laboratory move. 

Other Cornell approved moving companies which can be contacted for competitive pricing can be found on the Division of Financial Affairs website.  

For pre-July 2018 hires, please contact the SrAD office for the CALS Coldwell Banker Relocation Form.

  • Offer Letter Template for Tenure-Track Professorial Faculty

Finalizing Search: The following data elements must be completed in Academic Jobs Online (AJO): Dispositioning of Applicants, Applicant Disposition State, Interview Date, Availability %, Goals Information, Academic Discipline, etc. Once all the data elements are entered and the search is completed, please email your HR Rep the following information: 1. Workday Requisition Number, 2. AJO Job #, 3. Department Name, 4. Title of Hire, 5. Name of Hire, 6. Start Date. [Note: as of July 2018, the ACSS form is no longer required for searches conducted through AJO]

Household Relocation: For offers extended after July 2018, household relocation funds will be given to eligible faculty hires as a taxable lump sum payment received in their first paycheck. The new hire can use these funds to self-move or hire a moving company as they see fit, with no expectations to save receipts. Lab/office moves are paid from startup funds and must be coordinated with the hiring department.

Moving and Relocation - Additional University Information (including taxable reimbursement considerations)

Resources for hiring at other ranks