Eastman Rice Stage Speaking Contest
The Eastman Rice Stage speaking contest requires contestants to develop & present an 8-9 minute extemporaneous speech on the topic of how CALS improves the well-being of individuals and/or communities through its teaching and/or research programs. The best five speeches will be awarded a cash prize and will speak at a public event.
- Send notification of your intent to enter to ml2576 [at] cornell.edu (Professor Michelle LaVigne) March 30th, 2018. Use “Eastman-Rice” as the subject line & and answer the questions on the entry form below.
- All contestants will be scheduled to present their speeches to a pair of judges in the Preliminary Contest on April 10th, 2018 (by appointment between 3:00 & 5:00). At the end of the day, 5 finalists are selected to go on to the finals.
- The 5 Finalists will present to an audience on the evening of April 12th, 2018 (7:00-8:15 pm) & the prizes are determined by a pair of judges.
- 1st Place $1,500
- 2nd Place $1,000
- 3rd Place $800
- 2 Honorable Mentions $600 each
- The presentation must be a persuasive or informative speech.
- The topic must be related to agriculture and/or life sciences*
- The speech must be 8 to 9 minutes in length.
- Note cards may be used.
- No visual aids are permitted.
- No manuscripts are permitted.
- No lectern is permitted.
Eastman-Rice Speaking Stage Application Email
Include the following information in your email:
- Email address
- Academic year of study
- Phone number
- Topic of speech and a couple of sentences on how it relates to CALS