Important Forms and Policies

Application for Credit Earned While in High School

If you completed college courses while in high school, documentation is required to confirm that the courses meet the transfer credit criteria set forth by both the college and the university. When applying for such credits, students should submit both a high school and college verification form. These forms can be located on Experience. The high school section confirms that the coursework was not applied toward high school graduation requirements. The college verification section confirms that the course/section completed by the student was open to everyone enrolled at the college (not just a specific section designated for high school students).

Please note Cornell’s Policy on Course work completed while in high school: "Cornell University does not accept credit for courses sponsored by colleges but taught in high schools to high school students, even if the college provides a transcript of such work."

CALS does not accept College Now, Bard early college, SUPA or University in the High School credits.

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Cornell University reserve the right to determine, in their sole discretion, whether course credit earned at other schools, either secondary or post-secondary, meet the College’s and the University’s academic standards and will therefore be eligible to be applied toward Cornell degree requirements. Applicants and matriculated students should not assume that, because a particular course taken at another school is listed as a recommended course or a foundational course, it will necessarily be eligible for Cornell credit.

CALS Undergraduates Applying to Graduate/Completing Your Degree:

Students are required to apply to graduate during their penultimate semester of study. Students who are graduating in the spring (May) or summer (August) will have an application deadline during the previous fall semester. Students graduating in the fall (December) will have an application deadline occurring during the fall semester of graduation.  If you are accelerating your graduation or are on a different schedule, please contact CALS Student Services.

All students:  your diploma will be mailed to your home address as listed in Student Center.  Please make sure your address is correctly listed through Student Essentials.

Application to exceed 22 academic credits in a semester (maximum of 25 academic credits)

During pre-enrollment a student is able to enroll electronically through their student center in up to 18 academic credits. During the add/drop period, a student is able to enroll electronically in up to 22 academic credits. If a student wishes to exceed 22 academic credits (to a maximum of 25 credits) in one semester they must submit a request through Chatter to add the additional course. To be eligible to exceed 22 academic credits a student must have:

  • Completed two terms of study at Cornell University
  • Have a GPA of 3.3 in their previous few semesters
  • Are in good standing with the university
  • Have no incompletes
  • Have approval from their academic advisor (this will be attained through the petitions process electronically)

Authority for Release of Academic Information

Students requesting a Dean's Certification form must first fill out a form permitting the Judicial Affairs Office and the Academic Integrity Board to release disciplinary information.

  • Release of Academic Information Form - Please contact CALS Student Services at 607-255-2257 or

CALS Special Studies (also Supervised Teaching Experiences, Internship Experience, Undergraduate Research)

Independent Study, Supervised Teaching Experience, Internships, and Undergraduate Research is available online. This form can only be used for an individual study, supervised teaching, internship, or undergraduate research course in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences during the fall or spring semester. This means a CALS faculty member must be responsible for assigning a grade. This site cannot be used for NS, EAS, and INFO courses. Click here to enroll in Human Ecology Special Studies and click here for the form to apply to be an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Human Ecology. For enrollment in BIOG 2990 or 4990, please contact the Biology Department directly in 216 Stimson or visit the Biology website for more information.

Special Studies enrollment counts as non-structured credit for CALS students.

  • Do not submit this form for a course in another college. If you are completing an individual study, supervised teaching, internship, or undergraduate research course in another college, you must follow the enrollment procedures set forth by that college.
  • A maximum total of 15 credits from individual study, supervised teaching, internship (6 credits maximum), or undergraduate research courses can be applied toward your degree.
  • Credits received for individual study, supervised teaching, internship, or undergraduate research courses cannot be used to fulfill CALS distribution requirements
  • The 4960 course number refers to internships.
  • The 4970 course number refers to individual study courses.
  • The 4980 course number refers to supervised teaching experiences.
  • The 2990 and 4990 course numbers refer to undergraduate research.
    • In general, students are expected to work 3 hours per week for each credit hour they earn in a Special Studies course.  A chart for your convenience can be found here.

If a student is completing Independent Study, Research, Internship or Teaching Assistant credit over the summer or winter session then you must register for the course through the school of Continuing Education.

Prorated Tuition

All applicants for prorated tuition should be aware of the possible impact that this enrollment status may have on financial aid, student loans, scholarships, on-campus employment, health insurance, or other considerations. It is the responsibility of the student to resolve these situations prior to submitting the application. To determine if you are eligible to apply for prorated tuition, please schedule a meeting with the College Registrar.

The following conditions must be met in order for a student to be considered for prorated tuition:

  1. The prorated semester is the 9th (or equivalent) and final semester of study.
  2. The student is in good academic standing with their school or college.
  3. Be enrolled in 9 or fewer credit hours of coursework. Students cannot exceed the number of credits approved or full tuition will be charged.  No refund will be allowed if the student takes fewer than the approved number of credits.
  4. Clear holds that prevent registration by the end of the third week of classes.
  5. Have completed the residency requirements for their degree program.
  6. Approval of the student's faculty advisor and the College Registrar is required for all requests. Approval is conditional until grades are finalized at the end of the semester immediately preceding the semester for which prorated tuition is requested. Should those grades indicate that more than the requested number of prorated tuition credits are required for graduation, prorated tuition will be adjusted appropriately.
  7. Students applying to be prorated tuition must submit the application no later than the end of the third week of classes in the semester in which proration is requested.  Applications received after that time will not be considered.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Cornell University Policy 4.5-Access to Student Information and the related Student Record Privacy Statement-explain how FERPA is implemented at Cornell. It is important for you to be familiar with how this policy protects your educational records and directory information.

Additional information is available through the University Registrar.