Although spending a full semester or year abroad is a truly enriching experience, not every student is able to study abroad for that long. Students may study abroad, research, intern, or volunteer on a short-term basis during the summer or winter. While Cornell does not actively track or comprehensively advise on activities in which students partake during summer or winter breaks, we have compiled resources to simplify the process of locating opportunities.
Students may study abroad, research, intern, or volunteer on a short-term basis during the summer or winter through:
- Another US institution or foreign institution, abroad;
- Cornell’s School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions;
- Shoals Marine Laboratory; or
- An employer, non-governmental organization, or other international institution.Click here for the CALS internships/summer jobs database.
Some programs offer credit, while others do not. For students interested in studying abroad during the summer or winter and transferring credits back to CALS, please consult the Credit and Policies page.
Although students work directly with the study abroad provider to apply during the summer or winter, limited information and resources are also available in the CALS Resource Library in 140 Roberts Hall or the Cornell Abroad Library in 300 Caldwell Hall. We frequently get asked where else to look for summer or winter study abroad opportunities. While certainly not exhaustive, some helpful links are listed below. Keep in mind that many foreign institutions also run their own summer programs, which can be easier on the pocketbook than going through a US-based provider.
Search carefully to find an opportunity that closely fits your interests. Here is a just a sampling of some of the providers available:
- School for Field Studies (SFS)
- School for International Training (SIT)
- Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS)
A wide variety of types of programs/locations
- Boston University
- Univ. of Rochester
- IFSA Butler
- SUNY Abroad
- Syracuse University
- Center for Cross-Cultural Study
- DAAD programs in Germany (search by “short course”)
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem Summer Program
- American Farm School in Greece
- University of Sydney
- University of Miami
- Iracambi Research & Volunteer Center, Brazil
- La Mariposa Spanish School and Volunteer Projects, Nicaragua
- IESEG School of Management Summer Academy in Paris (Cornell students receive a 10% discount)
- University of Warwick, UK Summer School
- Koç University College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Istanbul, Turkey